Some Newb questions for you guys...

FireInside

Nov 19, 2005
Hi. This is my first post. Nice site...I am 24 years old 6'0 & 170 lbs. I have wanted a dirt bike forever. My experience is very minimal. I have ridden lots of quads, My cousin had an XR100 I used to ride all the time. The only two stroke I have ever ridden is a CR500 once. I was thinking of buying a brand new CRF 250 or a 450F. But this being my first bike I was also considering a used bike. Maybe a 125? I just want a bike to have fun with but I get comfortable enough I might want to race. Do you guys think I should get a brand new bike or a used one to learn with? I know someone selling a 2002 Yz 125. Is that a good year & How much do you think it is worth (rough estimate)? I have started looking at gear also. What do you guys think of Shift gear? I was thinking about getting the squadron series package. I am still looking for a helmet too. Do most helmets have removable liners? Thanks for any responses!

AnTs

Uhhh...
Nov 5, 2005
Umm if your break a 4 stroke it will cost more then a 2 stroke to fix, I would either put you on a 125 2 stroke, or a 250 2 stroke... Im jsut a 2 stroke guy, never really liked 4 bangers...

For the 2002 yz125 i would say no more then 2,000 and thats being nice.. i would offer 1700 depending what condition and what it has...

I dont know about tha gear but i wear thor gear and love it. Very cheap compared to other companys and just as good...

I wear a hjc helmet and it has removable liner...

Anything else?

FireInside

Nov 19, 2005
Thanks for the reply. The Yz I am looking at is going for $2500. I don't think thats too high for where I live (So. Cal). I am pretty sure I want a 125. Maybe down the line I will get a 250F or a 450F. Any more responses guys?

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
A 125 2T or 250 4T are both good platforms for you to start with. The maintenance/cost of ownership of a 4 stroke versus 2 stroke will start another entire debate, however should you blow up a 4 stroke it will cost you a ton more than a blown up 2 stroke. From the little I know about California, it's my understanding 02 and older 2 strokes actually have some value because they are still green sticker eligible.

Crunch

Feb 9, 2004
FireInside said:
I just want a bike to have fun with but I get comfortable enough I might want to race.

Why not start out with a used KDX? You can get them for a good price (new or used). They are a lot of fun. Very reliable. Great bike to learn on. You can race them in Harescrambles. Lots of hop up capabilities. Great trail bike. Not a moto cross bike but they do give you some 2 stoke zip. Something you should at least consider.

Masterphil

DRN's Resident Lunatic
Aug 3, 2004
Used
Serious about racing: 125 2-stroke
Just want to have fun: 250 2-stroke
The only way to make a 125 two-stroke more maintinence $$ per hour of ride time is to trail ride the 250f and run the 125 on a really fast track revving the piss out of it the whole time.

Top Bottom