Some nice vintage road race machines

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
That's an event I would have loved to be at in person.

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
Thanks for the link! What an event that must have been.

So many cool things there. Really fun to see the dirt bike manufacturer's attempts at road racing (Maico, Husky, etc...). Also nice to see the small bikes (50cc, 125cc) that did not get much coverage in America back in the day...

During the late '70's to mid '80's I obsessed about all things motorcycle, and those pics brought back a lot of memories. Those bikes and riders deserve to be remembered.

Looks like most of the old GP riders can still fit into their leathers, lol.

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
Very cool Tony. :cool:

I roadraced a TD1-A and a TD1-B at one time. Brought back some very good memories. :nod: And some not so good. :yikes:

Thanks for sharing.

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
:) welcome

There is something about old iron.

Do y'all think the bikes of today will be as revered in 20~30 years?

For some reason, my gut says no.

Time will tell ...

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
Tony Eeds said:
Do y'all think the bikes of today will be as revered in 20~30 years?
For some reason, my gut says no.
Time will tell ...

I don't think so either Tony.

Back then the factorys were eager to build whatever it took to win races. By AMA rules they only had to build 200 of a certain model for it to be eligible for competition. Many of these 200 models were sold to racers and resold many times.

In Europe there were many one-off bikes built to compete in GP's. These too found their way into the general population after they became obsolete as racers.

Today, the bikes are more production based and most of the special parts never find their way out of the factorys. The OEM's grind them up and deposit them in dumpsters instead of passing them down to the racers. In the GP classes like Moto GP, the bikes are so special and expensive, the factorys never let them out of their sight. The bikes and parts are destroyed rather than taking the chance of having their secrets found out by the other teams.

In 20-30 years we will be telling our great grandchildren about those gas and oil puking rattletraps we used to ride and they will look at us like we were from another planet. Then, they will ride away on their electric/hydrogen powered hover craft thinking,it's time to put great grandpa in a home. :yikes:

JuliusPleaser

Too much of a good thing.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 22, 2000
Spa is on my list of racetracks to visit before I die. A vintage bike weekend there would be highly entertaining.

If any of you want to check out a nice collection of vintage bikes, let me know when you're coming and I'll give you a tour. I'll even buy dinner and drinks. ;)

My house is only 5 miles from the track/museum.

http://www.barbermuseum.org/

JuliusPleaser

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 22, 2000
Just say "when". We have a spare bedroom and room for trucks/trailers, too.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
JuliusPleaser said:
Just say "when". We have a spare bedroom and room for trucks/trailers, too.

I'll keep that in mind. Thanks JP. :cool:

SpDyKen

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 27, 2005
JuliusPleaser said:
Spa is on my list of racetracks to visit before I die. A vintage bike weekend there would be highly entertaining.

If any of you want to check out a nice collection of vintage bikes, let me know when you're coming and I'll give you a tour. I'll even buy dinner and drinks. ;)

My house is only 5 miles from the track/museum.

http://www.barbermuseum.org/
I'll be over there for some or all of their vintage weekend, in October. I've only made it for a day the last two years & that's not enough.

It is a very nice vintage meet, growing nicely. I hope I can get there for the whole weekend; I want to see the MX this year. The vintage MX track is a nice, sodded field, before they start racing every year. Nicer than some golf courses I've seen.

And then there is Geo. B.'s plans to build a world-class MX track - I cannot wait for that!

We'll plan on dinner this year, JPI. :cool: :ride:

JuliusPleaser

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 22, 2000
Hit me up if you decide to make it happen. I'm planning to be at the vintage festival also.

JuliusPleaser

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 22, 2000
I wish I'd known you were here. I could have shown you around.

I know where most of the restaurants and ALL of the bars are. :)

Where did you eat?

JWW

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 13, 2000
JuliusPleaser said:
I wish I'd known you were here. I could have shown you around.

I know where most of the restaurants and ALL of the bars are. :)

Where did you eat?

Sunday- Dreamland BBQ
Monday- dinner at company presidents house catered by Full Moon BBQ
Tuesday- Catered reception at Barber Museum. Prime rib, cheesey new potatos and shrimp and grits.
Wednesday- Beer and burgers at the bar in the hotel.

Heading back in September. Will PM you when I have the dates.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom