SpokerAce

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 2000
Just learned about this right before the SX this past Saturday.

I'll be there.

That now guarantees that I'll have doubled the amount of riding I did last year! (Only went out once last year)

SpokerAce

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 2000
Most of my riding the last two years has been at TNT it seems. Although there was that ride in Oklahoma and Monster Mountain the year before last.

I haven't been to DP in about a year and a half and have been wanting to get back out there since they've added the track.

Occasional rides at Locust Stake as well with the GOR folks as well.

Unfortunately I was out of work all last year so that put an end to my riding for that time frame. I'm working again so it's time to start back up.

joereitman

Jul 2, 2003
Glad you have rejoined the ranks of the employed. :) You will LOVE the improvements at dp. The track is spode friendly, and you can ride it all day long without getting arm pump. They have a photographer out there most weekends so you can purchase some col shots of yourself doing sick whips and pointovers over the doubles. I also hear the trails are awesome, but with my 6 year old riding buddy who is not yet trail rated I couldn't say. The sacrifices we make for family. :)

BTW, on Saturday I cut more new trail on the private Greshamville tract. I now have about 2/3 mile of tight stuff, 1/3 mile of easy. Can be run both ways. More to come. Some of the tight stuff is SICK! Maybe we will post my son at the wheelie mandatory ditch crossing with the camcorder for a little while. ;)

joereitman

Jul 2, 2003
GOt my tail out of bed 5:30 Sat am and cut another 450 yards of tight 1st gear stuff. SOme tight pine, a lil rocks, some good elevation changes, a scenic little creek along a short strectch, and a loopout inducing jump over an old tree stump mound. Got a lil enthusiastc over that and did the Ivan thing. DOH! Rear fender may need replacing soon. :( I am happy however that I now have over a mile of trails, mostly tight stuff.

Walked the property some more yesterday and found a BIG ditch. average 12-15' across, vertical sides, average 10-12' deep, couple hundred feet long. Should make a good trials section. Plus there is one spot where there is a high speed downhill leading to the ditch that is a couple feet higher at takeoff than landing side, almost 20' gap. Maybe someone will be brave enough to attempt it. NOt me! Those big 12' deep 20' wide ditch gaps get me skeered! I am too old for that tomfoolery...

Also found a good mud pit at the far end of the property. Would make for some good mud boggin.

Bottom line is if I can get another mile and a half of trail cut in by May 7, it will be very viable for some good free riding. Plus free primitive camping if I can get a bush-hog out there and clean it up some.

We are having a GOR group ride and track day at DP this Saturday for anyone who wants a Dp preview. Should be good turnout and great riding!

Please let me know if y'all have started making plans. I would like to try and estimate turnout so I can see if this will all be workable. Thanks! :)

wrench

'00 Flappin' Fender [Ret]
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 7, 2000
Do we have an estimated cost for this event yet?

wrench

joereitman

Jul 2, 2003
dp is 45 for 3 day ride, 40 for 2 day, and its 25 a day weekend, 20 during week. 8 and under free with paying adult. I like that alot!

http://www.durhamtown.com/dirtbike.htm

I put in a call to my man at Dp, Vic, and he is out today but will be in first thing in the am. I will ask if there are any group pricing considerations. WIll also talk to him Sat at the GOR ride.

For the budget conscious I will indeed offer RP (Reitmantown Plantation- I like that) as a free albeit primitive alternative. Again, it is kinda tight access. I can now get in without 4wd when not pulling trailer, but if you have a big dually and fancy trailer don't try it, unless it is 4wd and you don't mind a couple scratches! I can trim some branches along the entrance and dump some gravel in the ditch if needed.

Here is some lodging and camping info I just pulled off dp site:

TURKEY ROOST

1 DOUBLE BED, 2 SINGLES, FULL BATH

$75 / night
$65 / night for 2 nights or more.

SQUIRREL'S NEST

2 WIDE SINGLE BEDS, FULL BATH

$60 / night
$55 / night for 2 nights or more.

THE LODGE

1 DOUBLE AND 1 SINGLE, SHARED FULL BATH with ONE OTHER IDENTICAL ROOM

$55 / night / room
$50 / night / room for 2 nights or more.

BROWN ROOF INN

2 DOUBLE BED, FULL BATH

$75 / night

MALLARD NEST ONE

1 DOUBLE BED, 2 SINGLES,

FULL BATH

$70 / night

BEST EASTERN

1 DOUBLE, 1 SINGLE, FULL BATH

$60 / night

GREEN ACRES

1 DOUBLE, 1 SINGLE and a LOFT for 2-3 kids

Full Kitchen and Full Bath

$135 / night
$115 / night for 2 nights or more.

ARMADILLO PALACE

1 DOUBLE, 3 SINGLES

$75 / night

MOTEL 8 (6ppl cap.)

6 SINGLES, 1 BATH

$85 / night
$15 for extra person/night

FRONT ROOM OF HILTON

$50 / night or $15 / person

4 Singles

MIDDLE ROOM OF HILTON

with Kitchen

$60 / night

$40 / night for 2 nights or more.

HILTON

2 DOUBLES and 6 SINGLE BUNKS

$85 minimum / night or
$15 / person / night

MALLIARD NEST TWO

1 DOUBLE BED, 2 SINGLES,

FULL BATH

$70 / night
DAWG HOUSE

1 DOUBLE BED, 2 SINGLES,

FULL BATH

$70 / night

CHIPMUNK PALACE ONE

1 DOUBLE BED, 1 SINGLE,

FULL BATH

$60 / night
CHIPMUNK PALACE TWO

1 DOUBLE BED, 1 SINGLE,

FULL BATH

$60 / night

PRIMITIVE CABINS

2 SINGLE BEDS, HEAT/AIR,

BATH HOUSE ONLY 100' AWAY

NOTE: Add $10 / extra person / night

Your linen and towels.

RABBIT SHACK

$40 / night
$35 / night for 2 nights or more.

COONS DEN

$35 / night
$30 / night for 2 nights or more.

QUAIL'S NEST
$35 / night
$30 / night for 2 nights or more.

PRIMITIVE CAMPING

13 CAMPSITES NESTLED AROUND A 4-ACRE LAKE. BATHHOUSE AVAILABLE AT THE MAIN CAMPGROUND AREA NEAR THE LODGE.

Minimum $15 per site per night.

$5 per person per night. 10 years old and under are free.

wrench

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 7, 2000
WOW! It looks like this will be the most expensive SpodeFest yet.

wrench

joereitman

Jul 2, 2003
The cost was one of my initial reservations about DP, but there is a higher level of service/amenities there. There is nothing comparable to DP in the United States, to my knowledge. Plus some folks here seemed interested in doing it there, once it was clear Aonia was not interested.

Camping is the cheapest lodging bet there, $20-25/night if one or 2 people, under 10 free. Greensboro is 20 minutes away and has a hotel or 2 I believe.

Cost was a major reason I am offering free primitive camping (and riding) at my 65 acre leased tract, which is less than 30 minutes away.

Just spoke to Vic- kids 9-15 would be $25 for 2 days, $35 for 3 days. 8 and under free.

They have just made huge improvements to the youth/ pee wee track, .7 miles now, lots of jumps, 6 lanes.

They have 100 miles of well groomed trails.

They have a .6 mile sx style track and a 1.3 mile main mx track

They have just done an oval true pee wee track which will have some real small jumps.

Hopefully we will all get our money's worth and then some! :)

truespode

Moderator / Wheelie King
Jun 30, 1999
Joe,

Can you try Aonia one more time? Let them know on the recorder that we usually have 20 to 30 riders plus family members for the entire weekend and we are not expecting to rent the facility just for us. We just want to be able to camp and ride the track and trail.

Thanks

Ivan

SpokerAce

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 2000
Wrench and I have been chatting about DP and that cost is just a bit much for a SpodeFest.

Especially considering the last few years when it was at either TNT or Monster Mountain, it was 10 bucks a day to ride with no fee for camping.

MM recently added showers and such. They were there when we did a SF a couple years ago

TNT only charged $10/day to ride with free camping, no showers. You do need a membership for TNT but it's not that much.

Of course Aonia is the other good option now that he has his trails open. Plus he has showers etc.

$45+ camping fees makes for an expensive weekend (that's on top of broken bike parts :) )

James

Lifetime Sponsor
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 2001
I can't quite figure out how the camping fees work but it looks like $5 per person with a minimum of $15 (or three people). So correct me if I am wrong but it would be $40 for 2 days of riding plus $5 for one night of camping....or $45 total. Compare to 2 days of riding at TNT at $10 each or $20 + membership if necessary = $20-$30 Total.

If I am understanding this correctly, I am not going to be too upset by $25 extra to ride a new place.

SpokerAce

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 2000
You must be reading it differently then I am James.

I saw this:

PRIMITIVE CAMPING

13 CAMPSITES NESTLED AROUND A 4-ACRE LAKE. BATHHOUSE AVAILABLE AT THE MAIN CAMPGROUND AREA NEAR THE LODGE.

Minimum $15 per site per night.

Then there was the $5 per person fee.

So, each tent would be a site or can you get more then one tent on a site?

The $45 for 3 days of riding is a good deal considering their normal fee.

Maybe if we get the camping question cleared up I'll feel better about it...

James

Lifetime Sponsor
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 2001
I read it to mean $15 minimum per site for up to 3 people. The 4th person would make it $20, 5th $25, and so on.

I would expect you could fit several tents in an area 1/13th the circumference of a 4 acre lake, but this is just guessing.

wrench

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 7, 2000
Here is what is on their web site now:

NEW POLICY: $5 Facility Fee for non-riders visiting Durhamtown.

(DP Members and Day Riders only pay regular day-ride fees)

Everyone must sign in at the lodge upon arrival.

RATES, RULES AND REGULATIONS

FOR DURHAMTOWN PLANTATION CAMPGROUND

RATES

Subject to change without notice.

Tent Sites (with access to bath and showers) - From $20/Tent/Night

RV Sites (with full hook-up) - From $25/Hook-up/Night

Cabins (with bathrooms or access to bathrooms) - From $35/night

It looks to me like 20 bucks per day, per tent.

joereitman

Jul 2, 2003
Ivan- I left another detailed msg for Aonia, with the description you suggested, and IMPLORED them to at least call and say yes or no. Plus I emailed them too.

Just left a msg for Vic at DP about camping fee. 706-486-4603 is their # for any other questions, or post question here. I will see Vic tomorrow morning and ask anything else we need to know.

Here's another idea. New donation only track in Bama just over the Georgia line:

"We have just opened a 1 mile+ dirt/mx bike only riding trail as an addition to your day of fun at ChrisCross MX. Fairly easy trail carved thru the woods, has only a couple of downed trees to cross. More difficult trails to be added soon.256-835-3208 or 256-239-4571

Open at 10 am till 6 pm 6 days a week and from 10 till 5 on saturday.

Take I-20 exit 179, turn south, go 1 mile. then right on Richeytown Rd, 2 miles then right on Family Lane at Mx sign. Follow MX signs to track.

It seems someone put a rather large double at the top of the hillclimb section of our track. It's not bad enough that there is an off camber turn at the bottom of the hillclimb? Then they put a double over a water hazard hazard! Ok, now that I have your attention:

Track is open all weekend (weather permitting), thoroughly prepped, ready to ride. Starting gate has been moved, track widened in 2 sections, 2 small doubles filled in to give the little guys some confidence (jump is the same just no gap). So if you are looking for a less crowded place to ride (for now) come on over.

Practice track located at I-20 exit 179 in Eastaboga Al has been extended to a full mile in length. It now includes a downhill ski jump, a hillclimb, and some long straights to blow the soot out of your silencer. New section will be open starting 1-25-04. "

These were a couple recent posts from GOR. He may let us camp free. You just pay for track and trail whatever you think they deserve. It's no DP, but sounds fun. Let me know if y'all want me to call the guy...

James

Lifetime Sponsor
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 2001
wrench said:
Here is what is on their web site now:

That is different from what was posted and more expensive even. I'll let you guys figure it out....I don't have a tent. :thumb:

joereitman

Jul 2, 2003
just left a msg for MM- to see if they charge for camping , and if they have any trails.

Just spoke to one of Dennis' kids about Chriss Cross mx in Alabama. They have 27 acres, and might have camping spaces, but I will get details from Dennis tomorrow morning. 27 acres is not much space, so I don't know if this will be viable.

joereitman

Jul 2, 2003
Thanks Ivan.

And everyone needs to thank Ivan for asking me to call Aonia one more time. This morning I was outside rewiring the Cherokee trailer wiring and Matt hollered out the window "Someone from Aonia Pass is on the phone". SUCCESS! Unlimited participant capacity, water hookups, free camping/trailer/rv, only pay if do electric hookup, $10. The mx track is $15, see Gomer's ride report and helmet cam videos from a couple weeks ago, I think I stuck my ride report in there too. They will have 12-13 miles of trails for $10, I suggest we do trails one day and track the other 2 days. They have an awesome facility, bathrooms and showers too I believe. The track is just GREAT. The trails are easy, family/kid friendly per the guy who called me. They are wide enough for quads if anyone (Gasp) would choose 4 wheels over 2. Contact is 706 678 7518, Perry, easiest to reach night time 9-10.

Thanks again Ivan for encouraging me to try again. So Aonia it is, will have to break DP and Vic's lil hearts...

truespode

Moderator / Wheelie King
Jun 30, 1999
That is great. I know Aonia will be a much better option for everyone.

I also like how Aonia has broken up its trail costs and MX costs. That is a smart move. I have seen how much it costs to maintain both and by breaking up the costs they can easily see where their market is and do everything they can to focus on that without giving up on the other.

Vic will be ok with the change. Tell him to come out too and I'll cover one day of his riding :)

Thanks Joe.

Ivan

joereitman

Jul 2, 2003
Vic and the DP crew have PLENTY of business. Not hosting Spodefest shouldn't be a big deal. I didn't get to see ol Vic/Tweeked today. I mostly hung out at the pee wee track with Matt, and got in a few hot laps on the big mx track too, but apparently Tweeked was released from DP duty just long enough to do one trail and he was then back to work. So I will call him Monday and let him know he has a free one day pass to the Pass! That is, if DP will let him off the premises that long! Ivan, Mike seemed to really like Aonia, maybe you can talk him and the boys into attending...

Let me know what else I need to do to get this thing together, feel free to give me a call. Cell 706 206 0073.

Top Bottom