souphmars

Mar 8, 2004
yeah i know about the time-i took it to a friend he is going to figure out the problem-it could also be the timing-that would be better-its hard to tell b/c it is not smoking bad, and its not leaking oil anywhere-that is what usually happens when a crank seal is bad-he is going to figure it out and i just hope it ain't the crank seals

YamaB

Apr 2, 2004
My bike actually behaved pretty well over the weekend... I only fouled 2 plugs in a whole day of riding... Seems like it would only foul a plug after the bike sat for more than 1/2 hour or so and was then fired back up...

- BA

souphmars

Mar 8, 2004
mine will foul if u let it cool down-its weird b/c it only does it every now and then-but it will do it just about every day- i have done everything-cleaned carb, played with jetting, new reeds, new topend, changed premix brand-now i have a professional looking at it

Mar 18, 2004
YamaB, souphmars - I have some interesting news to pass on to you. First off: my problem with frequent foulings was exactly as YamaB describes, the bike would run fine while it was running, but after it cooled off, it wouldn't start. I would get a wet plug even after just a short lap. I too did everything from replacing the jets, replacing the tranny oil, replacing the premix oil with the one recommend by Suzuki (costly Motul 800), tested the ignition coil, replaced the baffle in the silencer (not that this may matter but I wanted to be on the safe side) and also cleaned the carb completely.

The problem, as it seems was with the floats inside the carb.
Someone here had suggested this to be the problem and I gave it a shot. However I was unable to properly adjust it. A friend did it for me and I took the bike to the track today. It run strong and well, never did foul the plug and it wasn't covered in dark liquid like before. It had some minor amounts of wetness but not much (running motul 800 at 50:1). So it seems that my problem with annoying fouling has been solved. I urge you to have your floats adjusted before spending any money with some mechanic that will charge you a small fortune trying to diagnose the problem. I tried to set mine to 16 mm, which seems the norm for many carbs - but could not figure out the proper way to do this and even though I thought I had it right, it wasn't. So be sure to first try the float inside the carb. Get someone to do it if you must. To save money, bring your carb to a shop and have the mechanic adjust the floats ONLY - do not let them do any other work on it as it could be mean a waste of money.

I am really pleased to have my bike back without having to go through a seal replacement, which was looking to be what I needed. I will be taking the bike to track again tomorrow and my fingers crossed that the plug will hold up.

Should this (the floats) be the problem I would hope that the message gets out that this is something most people having issues with fouling would be aware of. As is this seems to be a 'hidden' problem and few seem to know the answer.
It is thanks to this forum that I got the bottom of this. This place rocks. Thanks all of you who took the time to share your experiences with us. You got me on the track again, and back on track :)

YamaB

Apr 2, 2004
Interesting... If the coil ends up not being the culprit, I'll have to take a look at the floats... Being a noob, I have no idea how to adjust them, so I'll have to ask around... If anything, I can do what you said and bring the carb up to the dealer for adjustment...

thanks...

Brian

Top Bottom