Spark plug goofiness....

Micahdawg

Feb 2, 2001
It seemed like I was having to kick my 2001 RM250 an AWEFUL lot when I was riding a few weeks ago. Anyone with a RM knows how little flywheel mass there is, so when woods riding the bike can typically just stall with no warning (hopping logs and such). I didn't really think anything about it since I've put nearly 20 hours on this plug and I having been toying with jetting throughout this period.

Anyway, I get home, yank the plug (BR8ES) and notice it's decently oiled up. Not horrible, but what you would expect from a well used plug. There were some carbon deposits around the ring of the plug that I could scrape off with my nail, but the prong of the plug had some "spotting." It looked like metal deposits on the prong because I could not scrape them off. And it didn't look like the prong had been "eaten" away, but rather these were deposits. The electrode also looked good and was 100% there.

I've read that these small spots can be aluminum....like from the piston or head, etc....so I'm a little freaked out. The bike is very high compression via milled head (240 psi cold) and it would even ping on 99 octane gas. Since switching to VPC12 (32:1 Klotz) it seems to have been running very good so I'm even more surprised to see this goofiness on the plug.

I'll be yanking the head soon just to take a peek in there, but does anyone have an idea of what this may be?

Micah

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…