skillzman1

Nov 26, 2003
That's funny!!
My buddy asked the local dealership for the factory replacement for his rm 125...they said they had the 'exspensive one' or the 'cheap one'.The exspensive one he said was almost $40...and the cheap one was $10!!
I think he's running the NGK br8es like I'm running now--$2 each

muddy226

Sponsoring Member
Sep 14, 2003
i don't think theres much wrong with the bike, other than whats already been said about treating it like a racer and making it work a bit. When warming up don't attempt to just leave it idling, thats a sure way to gum up the works, but blip the throttle with the choke off until you can feel the cylinder getting a bit warm, then ride. If breaking in then follow the usual instructions in the manual, e.g. ride with various throttle openings but without lugging the engine for about 10-15 mins., but not above half throttle, allow to cool then do the same again but not above three-quarter throttle, then if you're concientious do the same again and then after the break in is done you can start to ride normally and think about changing jetting as required.

As for the plug, if its one of those expensive ones with the electrode at an angle then the manufacturer has probably recommended that type because of concerns about the vibes in that particular motor causing the electrode to break off and cause expensive internal damage, so it might be better to stick with manufacturer recommendations. Have fun.

syko

Jan 10, 2004
I just wanna say thanks to all you guys who replied to this.
you have all been awesome!

I'm gonna take it out the weekend, stick in a new plug and give it some!
I'll let you know if it sorts out the problem or not.
Cheers again people, from Cold, wet and miserable Britain!

KX02

Jan 19, 2004
I have heard people say spooge could be caused by too much gas, obviously rich jetting contributes to it. But my car, lawn mower, and snow blower are all four strokes and they do not spooge whatsoever. My KX and weedwacker are two strokes and they do get some spooge out of the exhaust. How can gasoline cause spooge when it evaporates so quickly? Black spooge coming out of a 2 stroke dripping onto a swingarm will NEVER evaporate, unfortunately LOL!

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
Spooge is actually the unburned premix working its way out the exhaust. When the bike is to rich it gets more fuel/oil then it can burn efficently and the excess oil is pushed out the exhaust eventually dripping onto your swingarm. Just be carefull because going to lean doesn't priovide enough fuel/oil to properly lubricate your 2 stroke and you risk seizing the piston.
4 strokes don't show spooge because there is no excess premix going unburned and pushing out the exhaust.
A perfectly jetted bike will not spooge no matter if it is mixed 16:1 (more oil) or 50:1 (less oil) - you can ask Rich about this:thumb:.
Keep in mind the factors that can change jetting
cold temps bike runs leaner/ hot temps bike runs richer. How often have you noticed that first thing in the morning your bikes throttle response is so crisp but around noon it starts to lag a bit?
low altitude bike runs lean/high altitude bike runs rich
Cold air or air closer to sealevel is denser and causes the fuel to be leaned out in the carb. hot air or high altitude the air molecules are thinner and cause the bike to run richer -more fuel then air.

gixer

~SPONSOR~
Aug 12, 2001
The dealer where I got my KX frm did not do a thing about jetting. What ever was sent was sent. I know they send them on the rich side to prevent people form killing the motor. Most of the time you have to jet them down some. Any one know who I can talk to for setting up a KX to run in the woods with out killing plugs all day? There has been some jetting done and it is running better but some fine tuning is in order and we ( my buddy and I ) are looking for some direction. The local shops have been no help at all.
I dont mean to hijack this thread just looking for some help myself.
Thanks'

Nevada Sixx

Jan 14, 2000
the best thing i ever did for my 125 for woods is add plastic hand guards, barrel bag, and low low gearing.
12/54 is a good combo for woods so tight you have to ride first and second gear most of the time. I tried 11/54 but that was so low i was always having to go to the next gear higher...

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
I can't post a thing. You guys hit all the good points!

Porstala F9

Jul 30, 2003
Im having spark plug hell with my 03 kx 125 as well.

Mine fouled the stock plug in less than 30 minutes of the break in period as well. Thats supposed to happen as the manual indicates, but 2-3 even after that, my thing keeps fouling plugs almost every other ride after that (BR8EG plug) running 32:1 and there is absolutely NO spooge. The bike has only fouled a plug ONCE while I was riding it, and it was because I didnt warm it up enough, but every other time, it seems like I can put a new plug in, ride for 40 minutes and be fine, and then when I stop the bike I pull the plug and its fouled. Im really riding it to the best of my ability and riding out the gears to the top and getting into that powerband at every time possible, so I dont think its that. The jetting on mine is just probably way off and I dont know how to do carb work so Im pretty much screwed for the time being.. :(

yzJoKeR

~SPONSOR~
Sep 12, 2002
I agree with everything said except I wouldn't fool with the jetting until you start riding that thing hard.Remember it's a 125 they definitely don't like to be putted around.After you break it in do a plug check.if you don't know how do a search on here to find out how,then you can get your jetting spot on. good luck to you.
Hope this helps.
JoKeR

stimps

Jun 25, 2003
My bike occasionally oils plugs if you ride it too slow for too long. All I do is pull the plug, wipe it on my shirt, back in it goes, fire it up and a few good revs to clear out the motor and were off again. Don't just throw them away just because you've oiled them up, the plug has'nt failed.. A good blast of WD40 works fine as well. They obviously don't last forever but a cleaned plug is ideal for the toolbox for emergencies.

Porstala F9

Jul 30, 2003
my bike always used to foul plugs regardless of how hard I was riding it. If I was on the throttle the whole time, or if I was putting around and pulling the clutch in and revving it, it would foul the same way. This was when it was new. I made some minor jetting adjustments and it did me a lot of good.

So I think that whole "your not riding it hard enough" deal is a little overused and misused a lot of the time. Spark Plug fouling is much more of a jetting thing than a rider thing than anything.

fuzzy

~SPONSOR~
Jul 26, 2002
My buddy asked the local dealership for the factory replacement for his rm 125...they said they had the 'exspensive one' or the 'cheap one'.The exspensive one he said was almost $40...and the cheap one was $10!!
I think he's running the NGK br8es like I'm running now--$2 each
Watch out for this....I rememeber reading about this in the 2-stoke forum...Many people have blown top ends useing the standard (cheap) plug....Go to that forum and do a search...

skillzman1

Nov 26, 2003
fuzzy said:
Watch out for this....I rememeber reading about this in the 2-stoke forum...Many people have blown top ends useing the standard (cheap) plug....Go to that forum and do a search...

Thanks,I'll have to do that..although I've been running this same type plug for 3 summers and have had no problems?!

Seems like they told him it could screw up hid CDI unit or something like that?It was a few years ago now.

motometal

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 3, 2001
I looked long and hard for the trend showing all the folks blowing the engines because they didn't use the "special" plugs, and I just don't see it...i'm not buying that one, sorry...give me a good old BR9ES/BR9EV and i'll run it in any 125!

Top Bottom