jackflack44

May 3, 2008
Ok, so today I was examining my spark plug for the first time and realized that for one, it's a BR9EG instead of the recommended BR8ES. According to my Clymer manual my plug is oil fouled. Could this be because of the hotter plug? And other than it being a hotter plug what's the EG compared to the ES? I apologize if these are stupid questions.

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
The 8 is hotter. EG is bit pricier. The electrode and ground strap are different, the EG being a bit more resitant to fouling and grond strap breakage. Who recommends the ES?

jackflack44

May 3, 2008
Kawasaki does according to my owners manual. According to my Clymer, one of the possible reasons is the spark plug heat range could be too cold. Would it be ok to go to the BR8ES or would you say I should go get a BR8EG? (if they make one) I'm going riding soon so I want to get it fixed :/

sharky243

Dec 14, 2008
Don't the kx's all take a BR10EG as a standard plug ? Oil fouled meens you are using too much oil or possibly sucking oil from the trany. due to a worn crank seal. Does the bike smoke alot, and spray oil all over the rear fender ? The "EG" plugs have a fine center electrode. They do make a BR8EG, but it is safe to use a BR8ES untill you figure out the oil fouling. The "ES" plugs are a bit cheaper but may not perform 100% under racing conditions. How much oil are you mixing ?

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
Thanks Bob, that's what I was looking at.

Jack, go get a couple br8es plugs. Put one in and go riding. If it fouls again start looking for the root cause. How old was the last one?

jackflack44

May 3, 2008
I'm mixing at a 32:1 ratio with a normal amount of smoke an nothing on the rear fender.

jackflack44

May 3, 2008
The last one was a BR9EG and one of the root causes according to my Clymer was too cold. So that's why I asked about the BR8. It's a used bike so I've no idea. But it has oil on it. Thanks this has all been really helpful guys!

jackflack44

May 3, 2008
Fox: my iPhone can't handle all this processing. It's trying it's best to be on DRN right now...

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
At this point I have to assume you know how to properly read a plug? Then get a br8eg. You can use the cheaper es plugs for jetting, no way I would recommend running it hard.

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
Not sure what manual you are looking at but a 2003 KX100 and almost all KX80, 85 and 100's comes spec'd with a NGK R6252K-105 plug, A BR9EVX is usually the optional plug in the manual.

A 9 plug is plenty hot enough for a KX100. You mention according to the manual the plug is oil fouled, did the bike actually foul the plug and stop running/fail to start? When my son first switched to a KX80 from a trail bike we ran a BR9EYA which seemed much less prone to fouling than the stock plug. Once he learned how to keep the bike on the pipe we went back to the stock plug and leaned the jetting out a bit.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Them fine wire plugs foul less than the fat ones, believe it or not. Most of the time when you foul a plug, its from not clearing it out good, wide open runs. BUT, you have bikes that generally came richly jetted to begin with, and used and abused bikes. Now with an abundance of oil on start up, that fat electrode es plug will fire and the fine wire will foul. I believe this is where the messing with the oil ratio comes in. Before investing stock in NGK, make sure the rest of the engine, carburation and exhaust are mechanically ready! Then read the plug/temperature? For starters: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spark_plug

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
So I have to ask when was the top end last serviced?

jackflack44

May 3, 2008
pat: about 15 hours ago. I'm gonna do it in 2-3 weeks.
Fox: I'll work on that after I get back from riding.
Chili: it's never actually fouled. Or failed to start. I just pulled it to read it.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom