Spark plug replacement how often

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
Andre.

The plugs in the new four strokes last for a long time. The electronic ignition systems along with the better materials being used in the plugs keep the plugs from eating themselves.

I have had customers with the same plug in their engines for over a year.

When you take your plug out, inspect the electrode. It should be sharp on the edges. If the edges of the electrode look rough or burnt, replace the plug.

ghunter

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 24, 2001
I just changed my plug for the first time in my 2004 WR450...and it didn't really even need to be changed, just did it as part of normal maintenance.

ghunter

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 24, 2001
Depends on how well you have it jetted, how rich your premix is, as well as what type of oil in the premix. Also depends on how you ride it.

If you jet rich, use dino oil instead of synthetic, have a rich premix ratio, and putt around...you'll foul plugs all day long. If you have things setup well, a plug can last much longer.

I changed plugs on my KX once every month, just for grins, but could have gone much longer.

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
keefbikes said:
What about on a 2 stroke?

I change mine when it needs it.. Say if it's fouled or something like that.

Also, if I happen to race, which almost never happens, I put a fresh plug in that morning.

iamdawalru5

Apr 26, 2006
yep autozone, advanced auto, not sure about walmart but if they had them I wouldnt say so anyway... its only a matter of time before the giant brain that looks like a mall sized building thats called walmart swallows all of our brains and we are left headless freaks...

darringer

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 2, 2001
I change them about once a year, whether they need it or not. With proper jetting, they shouldn't foul and can easily go a year before the electrode and ground strap are worn out.

Andre74

May 16, 2007
Ol'89r said:
Andre.

The plugs in the new four strokes last for a long time. The electronic ignition systems along with the better materials being used in the plugs keep the plugs from eating themselves.

I have had customers with the same plug in their engines for over a year.

When you take your plug out, inspect the electrode. It should be sharp on the edges. If the edges of the electrode look rough or burnt, replace the plug.

Thanks again for your advise , i appreciate the advise im getting off this site. Kinda new to this all.

Thanks
Andre

Top Bottom