Spark Plugs Fouling

snobles22

Oct 5, 2003
I just recently purchased a 1997 KDX 220. The bike is in great shape and is a heckuva lot more fun to ride than my old four stroke. Here is my question - I am fouling quite a few plugs. For example, yesterday I rode about 20 miles and fouled two plugs in the process. The previous owner told me the engine was rebuilt about a year ago. It has good compression, starts easily, and runs great. It does seem to smoke more than my son's CR125.

I am using a NGK BR9ES plug, 32:1 mixture.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Steve

jsirvine

Mar 20, 2002
When I got my KDX (00) it was doing the same. A real pain but I drop the main jet from wherever it was, around 160 to I think I have it at a 148 right now. I have a PC pipe, and ride at a dry 4500'. You most likely need to open up that card and start with a smaller main jet. I'd see what is in there and order the 5 packet of smaller ones from Dennis Kirk or where ever. You need a 6mm litrtle socket for getting the main out and for changing the pilot if it goes to that.

Braahp

~SPONSOR~
Jan 20, 2001
Well first off you are using too cold of a spark plug. Spec is a BR8ES. Try that or a BR8EG racing plug. I would recommend the EG series.

kdxme

Apr 7, 2002
I have a 2001 Kdx 200 and was fouling plugs but not as often as you. It came stock with a NGK BR8es plug. The manual suggests using a BR7ES plug if your fouling plugs and that did the trick for me.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…