snobles22

Oct 5, 2003
I just recently purchased a 1997 KDX 220. The bike is in great shape and is a heckuva lot more fun to ride than my old four stroke. Here is my question - I am fouling quite a few plugs. For example, yesterday I rode about 20 miles and fouled two plugs in the process. The previous owner told me the engine was rebuilt about a year ago. It has good compression, starts easily, and runs great. It does seem to smoke more than my son's CR125.

I am using a NGK BR9ES plug, 32:1 mixture.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Steve

jsirvine

Mar 20, 2002
When I got my KDX (00) it was doing the same. A real pain but I drop the main jet from wherever it was, around 160 to I think I have it at a 148 right now. I have a PC pipe, and ride at a dry 4500'. You most likely need to open up that card and start with a smaller main jet. I'd see what is in there and order the 5 packet of smaller ones from Dennis Kirk or where ever. You need a 6mm litrtle socket for getting the main out and for changing the pilot if it goes to that.

Braahp

~SPONSOR~
Jan 20, 2001
Well first off you are using too cold of a spark plug. Spec is a BR8ES. Try that or a BR8EG racing plug. I would recommend the EG series.

kdxme

Apr 7, 2002
I have a 2001 Kdx 200 and was fouling plugs but not as often as you. It came stock with a NGK BR8es plug. The manual suggests using a BR7ES plug if your fouling plugs and that did the trick for me.

Top Bottom