spark timing curve

jaguar

~SPONSOR~
Jul 29, 2000
South America
I just found out that there's a PVL ignition for some KDX's that increases spark strength. Its a complete ignition system replacement and for my 89 only the analog system which doesn't support lights is available. The timing curve is viewable at http://www.mxsouth.com/pvl/pvlign.htm and I was wondering what the stock system is ilke. Does it advance or retard the spark as rpms increase or does it keep the same timing throughout? Anyone ever use a timing light to watch what timing changes there are as the engine is revd?
just curious

G. Gearloose

Pigment of ur imagination
Jul 24, 2000
The stator's initial is heavily advanced, and the box provides significant retard.
As rpm's increase, the retard is reduced, essentially providing advance. its done by 5-6 grand.
Clear? :eek:

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
I thought (recall having read someplace) that there is a significant retard about the time the KIPS comes on. It's a significant drop.

Actually, I'm quite sure that's in the service manual.

re: Initial advance, retarded by the box.

Any one ever wondered how it is the box could advance a mechanical spark?

Answer is, it don't.

;)

jaguar

~SPONSOR~
Jul 29, 2000
South America
hmm, my manual lists 19 BTDC at 6000 rpm.
good point on the inability to advance the timing. It must just be able to retard it.
Canyon, surely you have put a timing light on your bike to see what the timing does as you rev it?

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Surely you might think that!

But....alas. Having no ability to adjust it excepting for initial timing, I must say I really don't care much! :(

An inquiring mind may well want to know if only from the standpoint of understanding the issue or maybe modifying the curve for improved performance.

As I say.....alas! Guess that's not me! ;)

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…