Jul 22, 2004
Last week i noticed a small puddle of dark liqiud by my front tire, didnt think anything of it, when riding, everything was fine. the next day, the puddle was bigger. oh boy i thought.i blew a fork seal. i have no idea what to do. is it okay to keep riding on it untill i get it fixed? i mean i have no idea what to do.. and help would be great! :worship:

gwhII

Mar 31, 2003
Howdy,

Have you tracked down the wet spot on your bike? If it's leaking, it's got to be coming out of somewhere. There's a copper crush washer for the cartridge on the bottom and you should be able to find a good bit of spooge if it's leaking from there. You should find oil/dirt spooge wherever it's leaking from. The more fork oil you lose, the less damping that fork has and also more unlubricated metal to metal (or bushing) contact. There's also the obvious check to make sure that it's not your brake caliper leaking...like your sig mentions... I'd hate any oil to end up on my rotor or pads too..

Best,
Greg

Jul 22, 2004
oh geez.....:(

gwhII

Mar 31, 2003
Hey, it isn't any big deal...just gotta fix it is all before it turns into one. Get a manual for your bike if you don't have one so that you can see how it all works.

Best,
Greg

Jul 22, 2004
where do you recomend i get a manual at? whats a decent price?

gwhII

Mar 31, 2003
Yep, motorider's right; that's what I paid for my Kawi manual. There's also a Clymer's model out for '83-'88 KDX200's. Check Amazon ~$20. When in doubt, you can have two sources of information.

BTW, I was wrong; I thought you had a newer bike. You don't have cartridge forks but I'm pretty sure that you have a Allen headed bolt with a copper crush washer to secure the damping rod at the bottom of the leg.

Best,
Greg

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Fixing stuff is just part of a dirtbike! Blown fork seals, leaking calipers...it's all part of the fun (fixing it all, I mean).

BTW, you don't need no steenking ACL. Heck...what good are MCL's anyway! ;)

Well...I don't have nunna that junk. I still ride! Well...still fall over sometimes, too (when walking AND riding! ;) )...but it sure doesn't need to hamper your riding.

Consider some Asterisk Cells! Which is to say, you ordered 'em already?

Great!! Glad to hear it.

Top Bottom