special tool for clutch?

ryanfoley

Sep 17, 2002
I am going to replace my clutch basket with an aftermarket one, and i was reading my manual and it had a special tool, it keeps the basket from moving so you can torque it. Well i was wondering if you need to use this or are there other things to improvise with, i was thinking of putting it into gear but i dont think i can torque it to 58 ft/lb that way. I havent bought a basket yet but i was thinking of going for the $140 PE basket or should i just dish out the $200 for the Hinson?

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
i assume you mean the inner hub? using the brake probably wont worrk that well since it might spin.

years ago, i had a cr that the inner hub nut was so tight, we couldnt get it off. in the end, we scarificed 2 old steel clutch plates and bolted them to a metal handle so we could hold the inner hub still and remove the nut. the PE basket certainly looks like good value

tricci

May 14, 2002
What I have done in the past is put a penny or two in between the clutch hub gear and the crank gear. The penny will jam the gears and fold and bend. That's OK. It will prevent the clutch from spinning while you torque the nut. I've never seen it damage a gear or anthing other than the penny. I have even used a quarter. Whatever is easier. The penny is a much softer metal so it may give you less trouble. Again I have never seen any damage from this method other than it may cost you two cents.

Cheers,
Tony

Chevalier

Sep 3, 2001
I made a tool from an old front sprocket and a T piece of steel, weld the sprocket onto the T piece(at the bottom of the "T"), put it on the splines where the sprocket goes(on the bike), put the bike in 5th gear, that makes it easier, you will probably need to get someone to hold the T piece.
Hope that helps.

Jeepboy

Oct 25, 2000
Similar to the penny method mentioned above, I have used some hard plastic inbetween the gears to prevent movement. Then I used a small electric impact wrench. The electric impact I used had much less torque than traditional air impact wrenches.

MXP1MP

Nov 14, 2000
I made a tool using one two old fiber clutch plates screwed or pop revited together. It will hold it in place but its easier if you use a power drill air/electric to get that nut off it makes it super easy.

Joepro9

Feb 17, 2001
I replaced my basket 2 months ago, definatly an impact to take it off, but to put back on, I just jamed the back wheel while the bike was in gear, and then tightend everything, worked fine.

jet373

Apr 2, 2002
impact gun is the only way to go for the clutch and mag nuts and base valves in forks

keith500r

Jul 27, 2001
you can get an oil filter wrench from auto parts stores, it has a 6 inch nylon strap, I used it to remove a flywheel but I dont know if it will work with a clutch basket or not. You just wrap the strap around the flywheel and hold it back with a ratchet. it cost like $6.

jharmon

Aug 1, 2001
I would have to agree with Jet373. I changed my clutch once and an impact wrench works perfectly. If you have one, or know someone that will let you borrow it, use that. It's easy and quick. No damage to anything either.

WoodsRider

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
Damn Yankees
Oct 13, 1999
Pneumatic or electric impact gun!

tricci

May 14, 2002
Keep in mind that an impact gun will do the job of removing the nut without any trouble but when you have to put it back on and torque the nut to the appropiate spec you will need to hold that clutch from spinning. That's where you will need some method of holding that clutch hub. Try the penny it works great and is cheap, if the government doesn't come after you for destroying American currency.

Hell use a Canadian penny.

Tony

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…