VintageDirt

Baked Spud
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 1, 2001
I posted this definition of "spode" in a recently closed thread. I hate to see it go to waste, so here it is again.:)

~~~~~~~~~
From Websters Third New International Dictionary (unabridged):

spode \'spöde\ n - s usu cap (after Josiah Spode 1827 Eng. Potter): ceramic ware (as bone china, stone china, or parian ware) made at the works established by Josiah Spode in 1770 at Stoke on Trent England.
~~~~~~~~~

So how does that relate to dirt bikes, you may ask? Well, it's quite simple actually. As is usually the case, the meaning of words tends to evolve through years of usage. Some words can be distorted to the point that their original meanings are lost. Or at least left unusable in common dialog (I'm thinking of a word that used to mean happy).

Let us look at the word "spode". Josiah Spode was a potter who many years ago made great earthenware. So good was his fine china, that the name "Spode" is now a trademark used for fine English porcelain.

Porcelain, china, earthenware, and pottery all have one thing in common. DIRT! If you take really old dirt that is especially good, you have what? Well you have vintage dirt of course.

I am a vintage dirt. Therefore, I am a spode. But what else am I? I'm a guy that likes to ride dirt bikes. I'm not very good at it. But to my own humiliation I continue to ride (and crash) in public.

That, is what a spode is. You really should have known.

KDX1

Mod Ban
Jun 5, 2001
The answer is finally revealed. :) I was wondering when this subject would come up and be clarified. Thanks for the inetesting history. I learned something new today.

Top Bottom