AnneBrooks

Jan 17, 2001
Team Belgium wins MXDN

I saw on another website that Carmichael won the overall, but Team Belgium won the team portion of the race. Ryno had a problem...costing USA a possible win.

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
Lets not do 'what ifs' ramon also had a problem but Belgium won-ferry could have saved USA but he crashed.Rc was flawless.

WhKnuckle

May 14, 2003
The US was toast as soon as Ferry hurt his hand on Saturday. He said if it had been a National or SX, he wouldn't have tried to ride. But it's a team event, winner take all, Belgium did what they needed to do to win it, and Timmy couldn't hang with the pace (plus he fell down 2 or 3 times). Congrats to Belgium, way to go RC, get well soon Timmy.

kiwi_925

Jan 29, 2001
The 'team portion' of the race is the race. RC won the individual part but not the title of the event. If only Townley wasnt in the crash in the first turn.... but all in all it was a good result for New Zealand

angry jim

Sponsoring Member
Aug 4, 2000
The only thing that was settled was the Carmichael-Everts debate. Everts is awesome. RC is from another planet, the same one Bubba comes from :aj: .
Many had problems, but the cream rose to the top.

slideways11

Sponsoring Member
Apr 18, 2000
Actually two things were settled, we know who the fastest rider on the planet is, RC without a doubt and we know who has the best MX team in the world.....Belgium. Congrats to both they both earned it.

angry jim

Sponsoring Member
Aug 4, 2000
If RC, Bubba & Windham had been the US team & lost, then I would agree that Belgium has the best MX team. They won with their best team on there home track, I'm not so sure that settles anything.

WhKnuckle

May 14, 2003
If anything in racing every got settled, there'd be no more racing to do. What would be the point? RC won 24 out of 24, and they still kept lining up. Nothing was settled as far as they were concerned.

Pox on settling!

super rat

Ass Clown at DRN
Mar 31, 2001
You know what it settles, Belgium is the best mx state in the world. IF bubba IF Kdub.....If's and buts.... We had our best guys who wanted to go, I'd pick Ferry and Ryno over Kdub anyway. Those two guys fought for every thing they have. When it comes easy for Kdub he is way fast but if he has to fight he rolls over. Bubba, he don't like the challenge I geuss.

BunduBasher

Boodoo-Bash-eRRR
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
Isn't comparing Everts to RC, like comparing RC to Mcgrath - different eras - what it does prove is that the Euros are every good as the Americans, as good as the Auzzies, Kiwis, South Africans etc. Not that this would put to end the myth that the World Championship is a second rate series .. no :p

At least the Belguims can win on home soil .. no :)

angry jim

Sponsoring Member
Aug 4, 2000
Super Rat
1. Wasn't Windham the guy who beat Everts in the USGP at Buds Creek just a couple years ago? Yes! he was.
2. Didn't Windham spank Ferry all summer long in the nationals? Yes!
3. I don't remember Windham rolling over at all since his return. Wasn't he the only rider to defeat RC in a national this year? Yes!
4. What place did Smets finish at Southwick last year?
5. Stewart is faster on a 125 than Ferry or Hughes on ANY bike.
6. The US team still should have won with the team they sent, but it was NOT the best team possible like Belgium had, which was my point to begin with.

kiwi_925

Jan 29, 2001
angry jim, you guys did have your best team there otherwise others would have turned up. If there were faster riders back home, so be it, but they werent there so that was your fastest team you had, period.
Jim your forgetting back team USA's attempt back when it was RC, Dowd and Henry at Foxhill, what happend there....
And if you look at the USGP results, both Everts and Windham got the same results as each other, so how could one be better than the other?? Just the way they spilt for the overall is all that made the difference, not else.

super rat

Ass Clown at DRN
Mar 31, 2001
Jimmy I'm sorry if I made you any more angry. You are one of the guys I usaly agree with round here. I'm am still a little bitter after getting our ass kicked by Belgium. Remeber when our top guys wanted to go and represent the USA? Well Timmy, Ryno and RC were the only guys who wanted to go. You can't take anything away from Belgium because our #2 and#3 riders don't go for whatever BS reasons they come up with. It was our best team.

1) Yes they split moto wins on a national track. Everts is no squid.
2)Yes for the most part.
3)Did you see Steel City? How about Broom? I have to say Steel City,....he rolled over.
4) I think Smets got laped the year he raced the wick but I don't think it was last year.
5) I got eyes and have seen Stewart ride. Not much to say the kid is stupid fast.
6) WE LOST. Cheers Belgium!!!!! The best MX country in the world.....till next year!!!

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
Smets went 8-7 at Southwick in '01.  Here is what he had to say after the race:

"I was just not prepared. What you saw today was not Joel Smets. I underestimated the difficulties of traveling, said Smets, "I didn't think it would be that tough. I think the level of riders is pretty much the same (as GPs)." After taking the holeshot and racingwith Carmichael for the lead in moto 1, Smets said, "Ricky is so confident and so strong. At the moment I think he is the best rider in the world."

angry jim

Sponsoring Member
Aug 4, 2000
Rat. I'm bitter about the loss too, I guess. I have no problem with people disagreeing with me. On any given day, 10 of the teams at the MXoN could win it if the breaks went there way. Many teams had bad luck, including the US. I believe without a doubt that RC and Bubba are the 2 best MXers in the world. What happens in one race does not persuade me that we are anything less than the best MX nation in the world. I never said there aren't great riders in other countries. With very few exceptions, the best come from all over the world to race in the US because it is the strongest field of riders anywhere. Why is that so hard to believe for some people when the riders from those other countries admit it themselves. If I wanted to be good at soccer, I'd move to Brazil. If I wanted to be good at MX I'd be in the US.

BunduBasher

Boodoo-Bash-eRRR
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
Brazil, Argentina ? Pele, Maradona ??!!

Europe/South America - both have fantastic soccer teams. For Americans, Europe is probably the place to go, much closer, and easier to make the transition.

Top Bottom