Dragger28

Apr 1, 2007
1) your physical size- 5'6" 155lbs

2) How physical / aggressive are you?- Raced sportbike(1000-1200cc) and workout daily in the gym, Army Vet.

3) what do you plan to ride- MX/SX tracks, woods, fields with friends or ?- 15acres out back in the woods 1st, then some tracks and then racing but just for fun.

4) Do you have any riding experience?- Racing sportbikes on road courses(150hp) and drag racing(200hp). Rode dirtbikes when I was 5 years old to 13 but nothing bigger than 80cc in the dirt.

5) Do you think you will race?- Just for fun, not the budget to be competitive.

6) Are you mechanically inclined and will you be doing your own bike work?- Yes.

7) Do YOU have a preferance to a brand/ motor choice (2 or 4 stroke)? Honda 4-stroke, no 2 strokes, nothing but Honda(reliability reasons).

8) Do you have a dealer close by your home that you might use and what brand(s) does he carry?- Yes, Honda, Suzuki, and Yamaha.

9) How much do you plan to spend on a bike? Used $2000-4000.

10) Do you live in California?- Hell no.

11) anything else that you think would help form an opinion.- I'm now 28 and was a good road racer but can't afford the $350 for a set of tires that only last 1/2 a trackday, crashing($1000-$5000 per get-off :whoa: ), or track/race/license fees. I live on 15 acres of woods, would like to get up to speed manuevering through those on a bigger dirtbike(250/450), I'd like to find a track just for fun here in North Florida/South Georgia. Being 5'6" in the woods I really should get electric start, so maybe no 250R/450R? What's the wet(actual) weight of the 250X and 450X? Rear wheel(actual) hp staock? Please help :( .

-Adam

Dragger28

Apr 1, 2007
Oh and the the possiblility of a XR400 for example might be more feasable with my price range? Wet weight/hp figures? I'm also keeping an open mind to a 4 wheeler(TRX450), I have experience on a friend's EX400 but got used to it too fast, kinda bored with it after riding it 5x's. I've heard the 450 was world's above the 400?

1. 250X(under powered?)
2. 450X(too heavy?)
3. XR400(underpowered & overweight?
4. TRX450(not sure about 4wheelers still, might get bored with it)

Any reliability issues with these bikes? Anything to look for when buying used? And years/models to avoid? Sorry so many questions, Thanks guys.

Jan 3, 2007
If you did not need to sick to Honda you would probably find a better suited bike. For example the 450X is great but reliable is not something i would call it. A XR400 is reliable but heavy, so you need a bike that is reliable and not to heavy and good for some occasianol jumps and track. To me you options are endless, if you dont need a honda.

So, if you want a 4 stroke it should be most of these things, liquid cooled (not always but it is nice some times), SOHC ( most reliable), fairly light, not to pricy, and fun to ride.

So, if you want 2 stroke it should be most of these things, light (that is a given with 2 strokes), reliable (new top end once a year), fun to ride (all of them are fun).

Unless you want an older honda like, XR250R, XR400, XR600 and so on, you would have fun but these bikes wear you down quickly and for some get boring.

So, other brands for 4 stroke would be, Kawasaki-KLX250, or 300 were fairly reliable and great for the trails. Suzuki- DRZ400E heavie but can hold its own and are fairly cheap. Yamaha- I dont know besides the older TT350, 250, 500. KTM- Anything from them is well made.

If you want a 2 stroke then a MXer 250 2 stroke is always good for the track and not bad on the trails, Once again any KTM 2 stroke would be great.

Jeromeo

Feb 26, 2007
well a 4 stroke bike is definitely going to feel more at home with you than a 2 stroke. The power delivery is alot smoother on a 4. I would suggest a 450x. the Xr's like 2strokeforlife said will get boring. You obviously have some biking experience. Just take it easy for the first week and then tear it up when you fine tune your comfort with the bike. If you were really cool you'd get a two stroke...... Just kidding get whatever you'd like. I think you would be most satisfied with the 450x

Top Bottom