Spring preload - What is too much?

scottyr

Mar 12, 2000
I set the sag on my 400 EXC today and I am not sure if I need a new spring. I have about 30mm of thread now showing on the shock body. The manual says 10mm max. Heck, it was more than that stock! How do I know if the spring is wound too tight? I dont really feel like buying a new spring. BTW, I weigh about 185 with no gear.

HONDA65

~SPONSOR~
Mar 4, 2000
First set the race sag. After you have set it (rider on bike), check the free sag. If you have more than 1", your spring is to stiff. If you have less than 1/2" you're spring is to soft. Check your owners manual for what is the prpoer race sag. i believe it is 95mm, but won't swear to it. By the way, free sag is how much the bike settles under its own weight, measuring it the same way as race sag.

HONDA65

~SPONSOR~
Mar 4, 2000
No, because if your spring is to stiff, then you can't get enough preload on it, thus it free sags more. Conversely, if its to soft you have to crank down on it to get the right race sag, thus less free sag. And depending on yout weight, its possible to have a spring thats borderline either way, so then just run the spring that works best for you.

Top Bottom