captdirt

Apr 24, 2001
I recently revalved the shock on my '00 KLX 300 and dropped the spring rate from the stock 5.8 to a 5.4as recommended. I can't get the 85-95 mm race sag that is called for. I can only get about 70 mm with no preload on the spring. Is there a rule of thumb on how much more sag I can achieve with softer spring rates i.e. a drop of .2 in the rate will deliver 15 mm sag, .4 30 mm etc.? It would be nice not to have to keep buying springs 'til I find the right one. Also, if I increase the spring rate in the forks as advised, will this shift more wieght to the rear producing more sag? I weight 150 and ride CA trails and some dessert. Thanks

Sage

dirtbike riding roadracer
Mar 28, 2001
Originally posted by captdirt
I can only get about 70 mm with no preload on the spring.

Is there "no" preload on the new spring? I've seen KLX & KDX aftermarket springs that were longer so when you install them with the rings all the way up (0 preload) you still have 8-10mm preload.

Also a 5.4 sounds a bit stiff for a 150 pound trail rider, A stock KDX 200/220 5.0 would work pretty good, I still have my stock KDX spring if you want it, its has about 5 rides on it, you cover the shipping and its yours.

Top Bottom