css_elfers

Aug 26, 2004
I put my new fork springs in today and I think I messed up. The new springs where only 10mm longer than the stock. The stock spacer was 90mm long so I marked the new spacers at 90mm then took off 10mm so that the new setup was the same length as what I was replacing. Did I do that right?

ELF

rethnal

~SPONSOR~
Jul 14, 2002
You really need to measure the preload with the springs in and drop the spacers in place... then measure your preload amount , make your mark on the spacers and cut. If you want the stock amount of preload, it should be pretty close. Heavier springs generally require less preload. Using XR springs anyway. You can always adjust the preload by taking them out and cut 'em down some more. You will eventually get them the way you want them. It's not rocket science but you should get a understanding of the concept before taking this on. Trial and error.... trial and error.

css_elfers

Aug 26, 2004
I think I got it. I took the front forks apart, I then put the top nut (the top fork nut)back on. With the forks pushed all the way in and the spring pushed down, the nut pulled up I measured the space and came up with 62mm. I then subtracted 2mm for the washer and added 10mm for preload. It came out to be 10mm shorter than the first ones I did. I would still be in the parameters but over the recommended. Sound right?

ELF

rethnal

~SPONSOR~
Jul 14, 2002
ELF - Sounds like you got it!

WANA - The spacers are the thin metal tubes at the top of your springs. They should be very close to the inside diameter of your forks. www.buykawasaki.com is not working right now. It will all become clear if you look at the exploded diagram of the fork section.

John Harris

Apr 15, 2002
Elf--you got it right, but good info from someone else that you probably will not want as much preload with stiffer springs. In fact, if I may summarize from many posts on this topic, you should only want about 3mm of preload with stiffer springs. Trial and error for you and your bike. Enjoy the ride. Cheers John

css_elfers

Aug 26, 2004
HOLY MOLY, what a difference :yeehaw: . I only took it for a 15 minute ride but wow. Why doesn't Kawasaki do this to begin with? Thanks again for everyones help. I just have to play with it a little to dial it in but what a difference.

ELF

rethnal

~SPONSOR~
Jul 14, 2002
Glad to hear it ELF! Why don't they do this from the factory? 'Cause the fellers over there are little! :laugh: Not really but sounds reasonable..... proly cause they are made for real tight woods and made to absorb everything.... which they do... but not at speed.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom