Spencer

Jul 30, 2002
Ok, It's not all that bad. Basically I'm wondering how difficult changing the springs in the shock and forks will be. I'm plenty mechanical and have been known to strip my bike to the frame after a muddy hare scramble but I'm wondering about any special tools? The book says some are needed but can a guy do it without them, I have a mill and lathe in my shop so I may be able to work up any necessary holders etc. How about measuring the oil level? (Can you tell that the INSIDE of forks are a new area for me :eek: ) Also where can I find a chart for the springs for my weight, I'm pushing 240 in gear so you could say that it's a little undersprung. And last but not least, where do you all recommend I order them from for price/quality. I was gonna have the suspension sprung and valved at a shop but the race funds getting a little thin, at least thats what SHE :p says

munich

Jul 29, 2002
Hi I am kind of new to this stuff my self. Go to racetech.com they have a progam you cam load all of your data in and they will give you the recomended spring rates. My 14 year old son just took my rear suspension apart (2001 kdx220) and regreased it. He also replace the rear spring. Search around thru some of the previous post and you will find a lot of useful information for your bike.

Good riding,
FOG

Matt90GT

May 3, 2002
http://www.whitebros.com

Click on the offroad catalog. You better have a highspeed ISP to load the entire PDF catalog. But like page 9 starts all the listing of fork and spring rates by bike and year.

Also there is recommended series and you can choose a few different rates there if you want to go aftermarket springs. Also see what other bikes like the XR400s and 600s use the same sized springs. You can find the stock takeout used for a cheap price that are stiffer than your stockers.

fatty_k

~SPONSOR~
Jul 3, 2001
I made all my special tools to do the fork. I made the damping rod holder out of a piece of plywood that I cut a 7/8" notch in it with the table saw. I use a strand of safety wire for the damper puller, and I made my fork oil guage out of an old squirt bottle top and another square piece of plywood. I drilled a big hole (not all the way through), big enough as the diameter of the squirt top where it screws onto the bottle. Then I drilled a smaller hole (all the way through) for the little hose to go through. The hose is exactly 100mm from the bottom of the plywood so I just fill the fork leg up wiht oil, put the plywood on the top of the fork tube and start pumping until no more oil comes out of the squirt nozzle. Very crued but it works! I bought the FRP .40kg/mm springs. I weigh around 190 with gear. I use 10mm preload, but am thinking of going with more. I chose FRP because they were much cheaper than the Race Tech. At 240lbs, you could probably use .44kg/mm or higher.

KdxChode

Jun 18, 2001
I would say if you can strip your bike to the frame and own a mill and lathe you should have no prob. Apparently you are a pretty mechanical person. I haven't done the rear shock but the forks are real easy. The only special tool ya really need is to measure the fork oil level. There are directions to make one on the just KDX website. I simplified mine. Just went to a hardware and feed store, got 1 huge syringe made for horses, a piece of flexible plastic tube that fit on the end of it, and a clear rigid plastic tube that fit on other end of flexible one. Then drill a hole in a block of plywood that the rigid tube will fit into snugly and your done.

Here is a link I found that may be usefull.

http://www.dishers.com/hobbies/Repairs/Index.htm

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
When you change your fork springs, make sure the clips on the bottom of the oem spring come out with the spring. They aren't shown in the IPB. Use them with your new springs.

When you re-assy the fork, thread the top by twisting the fork tube...NOT by turning the top plug.

Cactus Jim

Apr 1, 2002
Hay Spenc ....

Do a little searching on the subject and you'll find lots. At 240#, you'll probably need much stiffer up front and a little stiffer in back. I'm about 185# fully loaded (w/ gear of course), and I use stock rear shock spring and RaceTech .42kg up front, with soft damping settings (smooth on small stuff, but good on hard hits). I also made my own tools, and it's easy.

Good luck ....

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom