Sprocket and kickstand Q

wpdoughty

~SPONSOR~
Dec 16, 2002
I have a 1996 kdx200 and when I purchased it, there was not a bike mounted kickstand and the front srocket guard was missing.
I would like some input on this. Is a bike mounted kickstand dangerous? There are times when I am riding with my kids that I could use it to go help them, but I'm not sure if I want to replace due to the risk it could fall and cause problems. Looking for opinions>
Secondly, the front sprocket guard it missing, should I be concerned about replacing this, I'm not sure why they would have taken it off or if it should be replaced?
Thanks.

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
Kickstands are safe for the most part, but I have seen a crash (no injuries) when one came down. If you are worried about the stand coming down, you can cut a section from an old inner tube and use it as a rubber band holding the stand to the swingarm.

Some people remove the sprocket guard as mud can pack up in there. The sprocket guard is plastic and may have broken if the previous owner over tightended the bolts. I have ridden many bikes without a sprocket cover and never had a problem. You should still use the metal protector for the case - it normally mounts below the sprocket cover in front of the sprocket - it is about 1/4 circle of metal and protects the case if the chain derails.

wpdoughty

~SPONSOR~
Dec 16, 2002
Thanks Dirt Bike Dave. If you have time, look at the close up shot on pg two of KTL,s Bike pics thread. the piece that is missing on mine is the half circle piece with three holes in it. Is this the metal protector that you are talking about or the guard?

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
I've heard that most tracks require removal of kickstands...due to problems they cause when they come off/get loose. Mine at times has gotten kinda floppy due to bolt wear, lack of spring tension and such. It's also been a problem more than once getting stuck in a root, against a rock or somesuch...particularly when trying to horse the bike out of hole on a hill.

Still, I'd prefer to deal with the 'issues' of its presence and have the convenience.

I've heard that moose makes an aluminum one in which case oem isn't your only option.

Mud is a problem with the CS sprocket guard. I've cleaned mine out with my AS-driver on the side of the trail more'n once. Still, I'd prefer it there. While it's not really too much of a problem safety-wise I 'spose if it's gone, I don't like that gnarly toothed meat grinder that close to my leg.

imo and all that.

Michelle

Sponsoring Member
Oct 26, 1999
On the close-up of RTL's ignition cover, you can see the stock sprocket cover & a bit of the metal piece behind. (the grey piece with three holes is just plastic)

We've done a few muddy rides a couple of months back & my cover got taken off. No big deal. The metal piece remains.

One of the kickstand bolts on my bike came loose & found out it had been stripped. Bought a thingymajig to fix the threads, but never used it. Have just covered the bolt holes with duct tape & left it. Being a lowered bike, the kickstand wouldn't hold my bike up properly, it got bent slightly & end result is a slightly bent radiator after it fell on a stump. It was more hassle trying to get the bike to stay upright than it is to either lie it down (gas off) or find a tree to lean it against. I don't miss it.

I've got a triangle back at the van if I can be bothered, but usually it just gets leaned up against something - tree, van, post, another bike, whatever. It's a cool Kawasaki original triangle with a custom bend - where most have a prong coming out either side, mine now has two on the one side - I don't have much luck with stands lol :)

Gates

Jan 18, 2001
I removed my kick stand after it slid across my back while we were sliding back down a hill. Tore me up pretty good. I had it on for a long time and it was nice but I ride in the woods and the is always a good tree or truck to lean it on. The half circle aluminum guard need to stay on, don't use the plastic guard. It hold mud and wears you chain and sproket. I've never seen any benifit from the plastic over guard.

RJ-KDX

~SPONSOR~
Aug 12, 2002
My kickstand is on, my PLASTIC chain guard is off. I don't want the hassle of looking for a tree all the time(sometimes we ride in open areas).
The case saver is all you need. You'll be amazed how much mud DOESEN'T end up on your chain.
I really noticed it last ride; really muddy; my chain looked normal; YZ250 and DRZ400 looked like a piece of solid steel with all the mud packed on it. Good luck.

:thumb: :thumb:

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…