mmartini125

Apr 27, 2006
I have a RM125 that needs to have the sprockets changed. It was easy enough to get the rear sprocket off but I am having trouble with the smaller one that is near the pedal.
I have ordered a service manual but it has been on back order for a month. Any suggestons on how I remove the old front sprocket?

My buddy has a Yamaha manual and it appears that on his bike there is a bolt that hold the thing on. Mine seems different.

Any help would be appreciated.

John Cena

Nov 11, 2004
What year is your bike? If it's a snap ring holding the sprocket on, you could try and remove it with a couple small flat head screw drivers. The clip tool would be the easiest way though.

Here's a pic of the clip you need to remove. Clip has red dots on it.

Clip%20to%20Remove.JPG

Last edited:

xcracer72

Uhhh...
May 28, 2006
Snap rin gpliers

Two Screwdrivers :coocoo: = a hell of a lot of frustration and cut knuckles:yikes: go to the auto parts store and buy a 6.00 pair of straight snap ring pliers. your will be glad you did. besides you will use them elsewhere

dezryder

Feb 23, 2006
I'm with xcracer...buy a pair of snap ring pliers. I'll add that there are inside and ouside snap rings. They make pliers that go both ways...(Bi pliers) if you will. They come apart and go back together for either app. Best bang for your buck, IMO.

Edited to add:
And like xc said, buy the straight ones for your first pair, They make bent ones but they are more of a specialty tool...which you'll seldom if ever use. Unless you take up wrenching for a living.

Last edited:

mmartini125

Apr 27, 2006
Thanks for the help guys. I got the ring off with a screw driver and it was suprisingly easy. I think I spent more time trying to get the thing back on!

:cool: :ride: :boss:

Top Bottom