MoYZ

Jul 15, 2002
If I install a 2 or 3 tooth larger rear sprocket on the YZ250, do I need a longer chain?

If a longer chain is required, is it acceptable to lengthen the existing chain by installing additional 1 or more master links, or do I need a new longer chain and then cut it down to the proper size?

Any advice would be appreciated.

SuzookKING

~SPONSOR~
Aug 31, 2002
it would be preferred not to use more than 1 masterlink in a chain. depending on where the adjustment is you might not have to add and any links

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
It would depend on the condition of the existing chain. Measure it and see where it is according to pitch growth. If it is more than 1% longer than stock, then adding a new link of any sort could be a bad decision. It would mean that you are running two different pitches....which can cause premature damage and growth to your chain and sprockets. If it's a beater bike, go for it and be sure you connect the new master with the forks going the right way. A master weighs more than a regular link, so physics says it should probably be placed half the chain length away from the other. (not a big deal though)
Before you decide if a longer chain is needed, make sure your adjusters are all the way in.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom