slyrde

Apr 26, 2005
After a little incident I had on the weekend :) I am up for both a new front and a new rear sprocket.
The bike shop I went too, deals with JT sprockets, but while I was there I also got a price on some Renthal sprockets. These worked out at twice the price. What I am wondering is, how much better are the Renthal sprockets, and is it worth spending the extra money.
These are to go on my CR250R.
Cheers,
Tim :boss:

SpeedyManiac

Aug 8, 2000
Renthal makes racing sprockets, so they're light but don't last too long. If you want something that lasts, check out the Sidewinder Tri-Metal sprockets.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
Both aluminum alloy and hard steel sprockets will last the same amount of time when you keep the chain within 0-2% of it's original pitch.

Only when the chain grows from wear, does the sprocket teeth on any sprocket start to deform.

Hard steel/titanium/etc...sprockets only mask a chain that has grown past safe running specifications. The hardened sprocket can withstand a chain that has grown to unsafe lengths. The aluminum will start to show wear and let you know when you are running a time-bomb chain, if measuring the chain isn't in your schedule.

I know you will get suggestions to go to the hardest sprocket you can find, but that is simply a conventional wisdom bandaid at best. It does NOT address the problem that causes the teeth to wear in the first place...which is an elongated chain. Actually, since the hard sprocket teeth resist any sort of deformation, they can actually acclerate the wearing of the chain.

Are Renthals worth the extra moeny? No, there are better aluminum sprockets, for cheaper, available. Renthal has elevated it's prices on it's name alone.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom