Sprockets

YamiDude

Dec 29, 2005
Can anyone explain to me what adding and removing teeth from the front and/or rear sprocket actually do? Heres the scenario:

2006 YZ450F that I will ride in the woods but also use for some amatuer type racing. I have not rode it yet so don't know what to expect but I have been told without even riding it I need to remove a couple teeth from the rear sprocket. Again, what will this do for bike power/rideability?

Thanks for any help...

tyesai

Nov 4, 2004

Removing teeth from the rear/making it smaller will give the bike more top speed but less low end grunt. Adding a tooth to the front does the same thing in theory.

Adding teeth to the rear reduces top speed but gives the bike a more torquey feel. The engine revs faster, the back wheel spins a lower speed. The second best mod I did to my CR250R was to go from a 50 to a 52 in the rear, your 4 banger will be different.

Why don't you ride it first before you worry about changing stuff. If anything I would have to go against what the first person told you and I would add teeth to the back or easier, remove a tooth from the front seeing as you are going to ride in the woods part time.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…