YamiDude

Dec 29, 2005
Can anyone explain to me what adding and removing teeth from the front and/or rear sprocket actually do? Heres the scenario:

2006 YZ450F that I will ride in the woods but also use for some amatuer type racing. I have not rode it yet so don't know what to expect but I have been told without even riding it I need to remove a couple teeth from the rear sprocket. Again, what will this do for bike power/rideability?

Thanks for any help...

tyesai

Nov 4, 2004
YamiDude said:
Can anyone explain to me what adding and removing teeth from the front and/or rear sprocket actually do? Heres the scenario:

2006 YZ450F that I will ride in the woods but also use for some amatuer type racing. I have not rode it yet so don't know what to expect but I have been told without even riding it I need to remove a couple teeth from the rear sprocket. Again, what will this do for bike power/rideability?

Thanks for any help...

Removing teeth from the rear/making it smaller will give the bike more top speed but less low end grunt. Adding a tooth to the front does the same thing in theory.

Adding teeth to the rear reduces top speed but gives the bike a more torquey feel. The engine revs faster, the back wheel spins a lower speed. The second best mod I did to my CR250R was to go from a 50 to a 52 in the rear, your 4 banger will be different.

Why don't you ride it first before you worry about changing stuff. If anything I would have to go against what the first person told you and I would add teeth to the back or easier, remove a tooth from the front seeing as you are going to ride in the woods part time.

Top Bottom