deuce_stroker

Aug 12, 2007
I just bought a 2001 Honda CR250 this summer, and have been riding it all summer long. My family owns about 200 acres, and I have made a dirt bike trail that is a couple miles long with our loader and backhoe. I have mostly been riding that in order to get a hang of the bike. I have a question though. What do you say is the ratio between standing up and sitting down on a bike? I have heard some people say that you have the best control while standing up, but I have also heard that you have the best control while sitting down because you have more weight on the front tire and can squeeze the bike with your leg. When do you stand up vs. sitting down? Is it just a comfort thing or are there certain times that it is better to do one or the other? Thanks.

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
deuce_stroker said:
I just bought a 2001 Honda CR250 this summer, and have been riding it all summer long. My family owns about 200 acres, and I have made a dirt bike trail that is a couple miles long with our loader and backhoe. I have mostly been riding that in order to get a hang of the bike. I have a question though. What do you say is the ratio between standing up and sitting down on a bike? I have heard some people say that you have the best control while standing up, but I have also heard that you have the best control while sitting down because you have more weight on the front tire and can squeeze the bike with your leg. When do you stand up vs. sitting down? Is it just a comfort thing or are there certain times that it is better to do one or the other? Thanks.

Depends on the circumstances.. Sometimes sitting is required, like in a berm, or if you're on a short take off jump, and need to seat bounce.. Otherwise, most of the rest of the time you'll want to be standing..

A7594217

Jul 15, 2007
I found standing is good almost all the time except burms or some other corners. And I also ride a cr250 which is stiff and rigid and if i sit too much my butt get SORE so i stand as much as possible. Dont laugh to much :ride:

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
In general, when you are accelerating you want to get your weight as far forward as possible. Likewise, when braking you usually want your weight as far back as possible. Those are both best done while standing. You really need to move around a lot on the bike and you can't do that (much) while sitting.

When standing, make sure your legs are not fully extended, but rather slightly bent so that your legs can act as another set of shock absorbers for your body.

salgeek

Oct 2, 2003
Get comfortable standing and it will serve you well. I find standing takes less energy than sitting while racing enduros and/or trail riding. Make sure your bar height and bar position are in a comfortable position for standing up - key. Personally I don't stand when the trail is smooth or if a front end wash out is likely e.g. - wet grass track. I also don't like to be in a lean forward standing position if there are small, rain soaked tree saplings and/or tree roots on the trail.

DougRoost

~SPONSOR~
May 3, 2001
Like the others said, standing while gripping the tank with your knees is best the majority of the time. Just like skiing, driving a car, etc., look as far ahead as possible while riding and let the bike move around a bit under you to help absorb the hits.

mkelly04

Jul 27, 2007
salgeek said:
Get comfortable standing and it will serve you well. I find standing takes less energy than sitting while racing enduros and/or trail riding. Make sure your bar height and bar position are in a comfortable position for standing up - key. Personally I don't stand when the trail is smooth or if a front end wash out is likely e.g. - wet grass track. I also don't like to be in a lean forward standing position if there are small, rain soaked tree saplings and/or tree roots on the trail.

Actually you should stand in those situations, standing will lower the bikes center of gravity and make it more stable.

mex_ros

Aug 2, 2006
It depends on the terrain. When you're riding in rocky terrain you mostly standing. If the terrain is flat you mostly ride seated.

DougRoost

~SPONSOR~
May 3, 2001
mex_ros said:
It depends on the terrain. When you're riding in rocky terrain you mostly standing. If the terrain is flat you mostly ride seated.
I disagree with that. Even when flat your legs help absorb the bumps and flow better, plus helps keep the bike planted by putting weight on the pegs instead of the seat. Watch any of the pro WORCS/GNCC guys to see that in the woods. A great MX example is Ben Townley.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
I would remind you that removing the seat while practicing is maybe one of the best tricks there is! Being on the seat is dangerous and bad for the body! Most of the time the pros are not on the seat,but hovering,and in corners they are on the corner of the seat if at all. The drastic change in the geometry can best be felt when seat bouncing.

Race_Bennett

Jul 23, 2007
Hmmm i like to sit down quite alot now that i think about it. I'm usualy riding with khakis and a t shirt and no helmet. I ususaly stand on a really bumpy area or a jump or hill.

mex_ros

Aug 2, 2006
DougRoost said:
I disagree with that. Even when flat your legs help absorb the bumps and flow better, plus helps keep the bike planted by putting weight on the pegs instead of the seat. Watch any of the pro WORCS/GNCC guys to see that in the woods. A great MX example is Ben Townley.

Maybe you're right but i think that you can't ride in standing position as fast as you do while seated. What's your opinion?

sspmxc400

Aug 30, 2001
Most of the best riders spend the majority of their time standing.

One of the best ever is Rodney Smith - he sits a lot (by his own admission) - so go figure.

I think it best to work on both in each situation and determine for yourself what suits you best. I know in my case I have a tendency to sit in situations where I should stand because I have better control of braking situations and my recover ratio is better when I am sitting. If I really could spend enough time - I would work on standing more and get better at braking while standing.

Race_Bennett

Jul 23, 2007
I went out and rode my brothers 250 (mines broke) and noticed its extremely hard to shift while standing up, and thats vital for a 2 stroke. Also sharp turns are hard because i cant put my foot out to balance i think i would lay my bike down standing up.

JD_MXRacer

Nov 27, 2006
when im just riding around i sit a lot. but if im racing or riding hard i will usually hover over the seat in a crouch. i only sit in corners or if i accelerate hard.

SpeedyManiac

Aug 8, 2000
For offroad (not motocross), sitting should be kept to a minimum. Watch the Euros - these guys stand as much as possible. Sitting should only be done in a few situations:
1. Some corners where you need a foot out and are railing it motocross style.
2. Sometimes in wet conditions you need to sit and use the tripod method (two legs + bike = tripod).
3. To conserve energy in endurance races. If you're on wide open smooth roads, sit down to save energy for later in the ride.

OldTimer

Feb 3, 2005
yamarider88 said:
i can't shift well while standing it usually ends up in me not using the clutch.
I recently posted a very similar thread because I have similar concerns. I agree that it's much more difficult to use any of the controls while standing, shifter, clutch, brakes, and even throttle. I practice standing at all times in order to become more comfortable with it, but I feel MUCH more in control of the bike while sitting. I am an admittedly slow trail rider and for my purposes, I only NEED to stand when the bike is apt to quickly tip either forward or back, I.E. logs, rocks, dips, bumps and the like. Jumps too, of course. Don't get caught sitting if your bikes lurches suddenly from a bump or hole because you could be catapulted from your mount.
I know from this description, it sounds as if that pretty much covers "all the time", but I mostly stand briefly and must sit in order to turn, brake, or shift effectively.
I guess if you want to ride really fast then there isn't enough time between obstacles to sit much.
I say, sit as much as possible to conserve energy, but be ready to get off you duff at any instant.

colotowyo499

Jun 7, 2007
One of the reasons Jeff Ward could squat 400 lbs. is because he was well conditioned for what he needed to do--hover over the bike. Some schooling methods have you stand while going around the entire track, even turns and berms. Admittedly, it is faster to disperse your weight while sitting in a berm but the principle is there--if you can ride well while standing then your fundamentals are tight and sitting is always an option. Like previously mentioned, slick conditions are good for taking a seat but watch out for your knees when you put those outriggers down!

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
If your controls are set in the attack position,then standing should not be an issue. If your controls are set goon style(sitting) then they are going to be hard to use while standing. Elbows up!

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
whenfoxforks-ruled said:
If your controls are set in the attack position,then standing should not be an issue. If your controls are set goon style(sitting) then they are going to be hard to use while standing. Elbows up!
I am looking forward to pointing people to this quote in the future!

LMAO...goon style!

Top Bottom