Start of a Detroit spoiler thread

truespode

Moderator / Wheelie King
Jun 30, 1999
dirt bike dave said:
Chad Reed: It’s no disrespect, but it’s just you know you’re leaps and bounds above those guys, and you know it. Even at that level that you’re riding, and you’re hurt, to be able to still be passing people, it’s quite amazing, to be honest. It’s crazy."

It may be arrogant and cocky but that statement is true.

For guys like RC, Stewart and Reed they are on another level.

Reed gutted it out and as a fan of the sport I am now a fan of him as a racer.

Ivan

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
truespode said:

For guys like RC, Stewart and Reed they are on another level.

Reed gutted it out and as a fan of the sport I am now a fan of him as a racer.

Ivan

When I think head and shoulders above the competition and racing at another level, I think of JBS (13 SX wins in 2007), RC (14 wins in 2001) and McGrath (14 wins in 1996).

Chad Reed? With 2 wins in 2006 and 1 win in 2007, not so much.

I agree Chad gutted it out and he is the most talented rider out there this season. However, I would like him much more if he was less of a drama queen and if he showed more respect to the rest of the field.

truespode

Moderator / Wheelie King
Jun 30, 1999
Chad has 34 total AMA SX wins... 3rd most. Ricky has 48 and McGrath 72.

I think Stewart, if healthy, can beat Ricky and maybe McGrath's wins.

But Chad at 34 is pretty good. Considering in his career there are only 2 other guys to have a legitimate chance at consistently beating him (RC and Stewart) he is definitely on another level than the rest of the pack.

When you think about just how fast the rest of the field is... Josh Hill, KW, Voss, etc. and then think just how fast Reed, RC and Stewart are in comparison then it just becomes unbelievable that they can go that fast.

Ivan

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
truespode said:
Ivan

Arrogance or confidence?

At the level these guys are racing many mind games come into play. You have to be confident in your own mind and you have to show that confidence to your rivals. Many mistake that as arrogance and it may come off as arrogance but, it's clear Chad has gotten into everyone's head. Whatever you want to call it, it's working for him. :nod:

I have the utmost respect for all of those guys. If you are racing at that level you deserve respect. It's easy to sit at your computer and tell everyone what you would have done but it's a lot different when you are actually out there on the track.

Many of these guys can lap the track within a second or two of each other. What make one guy the winner over the rest is confidence. He knows he can do it and he lets the rest of them know he can do it. Then he goes out and does it.

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
he may have a lot of confidence, 89'er, but he's also got a lot of excuses when he doesn't pull off a win. Nobody ever beats him straight up, he's always got a reason, whether it's a nagging wrist injury or level 42 shoulder seperation or coughing up two-thirds of his internal organs and only riding with half a skeleton like he did this last weekend.

That, and he's never beaten Carmichael or Stewart straight up. And he's a wuss (like McGrath before him) for racing SX only.

Yes, Reed has skills. But those skills don't include public speaking. A little humility would go a long way. RC figured that out toward the end of his career . . .

but I still hate RC.

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
truespode said:
I am SOOOO tired of the PR generated PC speak.

I have no problem with anyone saying what is on their minds.

Ivan
That's what I've always loved about Travis Preston. Sponsors? If you wanna know who they are, look at his hat and shirt and whatnot. He's busy talking about how the race went, and he's entertaining when he does it, because he's honest and a little self-deprecating. Preston knows he's not the most important man on the planet, he just happens to be the dude right at that moment. Reed, in talking about "chumps" who hold him up, or telling us how much a warrior he is because he showed up to race after his near-death experience, thinks of himself as the most important man on the planet.

truespode

Moderator / Wheelie King
Jun 30, 1999
XRpredator said:
Reed, in talking about "chumps" who hold him up, or telling us how much a warrior he is because he showed up to race after his near-death experience, thinks of himself as the most important man on the planet.

I never looked at a racer, competitor, celebrity or any other "famous" person as a friend or person I associate with so I never worried about their overall personality.

Whether it is construed as confident, cocky or boring doesn't bother me.

I go to watch races and watch racers grit it out in what I consider one of the most grueling sports.

Reed may be a whiner and cocky but I haven't heard him beating little children or abusing animals so I don't care what he says or does in his personal life.

As a matter of fact, I rarely read interviews of any kind in regards to racers b/c I go to watch them race... not hear them talk.

Everyone looks at the sport differently and some people chear someone for their attitude and personality (i.e. Pastrana) and others for their tattoos (i.e. Evans) but I just worry about the effort put forth on the track.

Having said that... I'm going to see 199 Lives tomorrow night :)

Ivan

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
truespode said:
. . . Reed may be a whiner and cocky but I haven't heard him beating little children or abusing animals . . .
I've never heard him deny it either . . . :think:

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
It was not very long ago, Mr.Third place was whining about he was through being pushed around. Then he started with some very questionable antics, it did not help. Now he is busting out of the emergency room, probably against doctors orders, going back to the track, regardless of his well being and every person on the floor at Detroit, and tries taking out the first 2 leaders when he is getting lapped. After giving some slower rider the finger last week! I do believe he has slipped below bayle on the list of worst racers! He was even dogging Nate Ramsey! What a trip he is on? Chad singing in the shower:"Its all about meee, Big beautiful meee....." Come on outdoor season!!!!

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
whenfoxforks-ruled said:
Come on outdoor season!!!!
Remember the warrior is a SX racer only
That fact has to be heavy on his mind as he sees the season championship which should have been his slipping away. There is no doubt 2008 was his year to dominate without RC or JBS in the mix. 2009 as he is seeing it may well be a long reach as the new crop of youngsters is poised and waiting to take it all away.
Look at what Dungey did his couple races out there, then Villopoto probably moving up and Hill pushing hard already. Reed is getting desperate trying to salvage what may be his last chance to dominate and now possibly loosing this title.
I would really be interested to see his medical chart and I really wonder if the blood he was spitting up may be more from a bit tongue rather then a near fatal internal injury.
Another thing that really struck me was why was he waiting like a lost child after the race for someone to come interview him. He looked as though he just couldn't believe they were not dropping the podium interviews until after he addressed his subjects. Normally the 4th place on down leave the stadium pretty quick and if I was in near death pain I would be headed back to the warmth and comforts of my luxury motorhome (but then again I am not a warrior

truespode

Moderator / Wheelie King
Jun 30, 1999
oldguy said:
Another thing that really struck me was why was he waiting like a lost child after the race for someone to come interview him. He looked as though he just couldn't believe they were not dropping the podium interviews until after he addressed his subjects.

My understanding was that someone from the TV crew stopped him when he came off the track and wanted his interview. They waited until after KW chewed on him first to get in there.

Ivan

2-Strokes 4-ever

~SPONSOR~
Feb 9, 2005
Missouri
truespode said:
They waited until after KW chewed on him first to get in there.

Ivan
:) ........ I don't have a strong DISLIKE for Reed, but his arrogance and attitude keep me from pulling for him. I root for K-Dub all the time though........ not because of Honda (burnt on them "buying" championships for so many years) but because Kevin's so smooth, has a wife and child that causes him to not ride over his head. I suppose you relate to these things when you get old. I hope Kevin keeps plugging away and gets the title.

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
truespode said:
My understanding was that someone from the TV crew stopped him when he came off the track and wanted his interview. They waited until after KW chewed on him first to get in there.

Ivan
That very well could be and it would make sense and it became even more dramatic when KW stepped in so they had to get it on.
BTW I am glad KW handled it like that and it seemed that while Reed wanted to blow it off it did make an impact on him. Both were upfront about what happened but kept it low key even when the interview wanted to pull it out and make it more

Top Bottom