snowman4839

Jul 29, 2009
I'm a computer nerd and I'm kind of an adrenaline junkie too. I really haven't had a way to express my adrenaline junkie side and I've been want to try motocross for about 3 years now and I might just have an opportunity now. I'm almost 15, 5'6", 190lbs and I'm trying to pick out my first bike. I found a 99 KTM EXC 125cc 2-stroke on Ebay and was wondering if that might be a good fit for me. It isn't running right now but I'm pretty sure I can fix it because it was running just a short time ago. Would I be able to race in an AMA classes such as the 125C class? Are there any limitations as to what bikes can be entered. I really want to start and I just need a bike first. Any tips/comments/advice/etc. would be appreciated. Thanks.

2stroker144

Jan 14, 2009
i would think a 125 ts would be a good learning bike , but if you havnt had any mechanical experiance, i dont suggest that you try to fix that ktm on your own, try to get someone to do it for you, and since you just started riding, i would strongly go against racing, at least for a year. but so we can help you more, fill out the sticky.

snowman4839

Jul 29, 2009
1) your physical size (both height and weight are important)
5'6"
2) How physical / aggressive are you ?
Moderately
3) what do you plan to ride- MX/SX tracks, woods, fields with friends or ?????
MX Tracks for competition and woods for fun/practice.
4) Do you have any riding experience?
No
5) Do you think you will race ?
Yes
6) Are you mechanically inclined and will you be doing your own bike work?
Yep. I'm very good with engines whether they be 2 or 4 stroke.
7) Do YOU have a preference to a brand/ motor choice (2 or 4 stroke)?
Going from most to least wanted... Honda or KTM, Yamaha, Kawasaki, Suzuki. And I want a 2-stroke.
8) Do you have a dealer close by your home that you might use and what brand(s) does he carry?
We have dealers that carry Yamaha, Honda, and Kawasaki.
9) How much ($) do you plan to spend on a bike?
$500 on a used one.
10) Do you live in California?
No
11) Your age?
Just shy of 15
12) anything else that you think would help form an opinion
I really like action sports and I would love to get involved in one.

Also... I found a working 2001 Honda cr125 w/o an expansion chamber or silencer for $400. I can get a stock pipe and silencer off of ebay for about $100. Good deal on a good bike? Lastly... Could I race that bike in AMA races? like the 125C class?

2stroker144

Jan 14, 2009
for you a 125 would be great. but a 125 that needs thing, not so much(for anyone not just you) i asume this is your 1st bike, if you buy that cr125, you cant start it, and hear it run, or take it for a test drive. so really you have to take the owners word for it, you could go put the parts it needs on it, and still have it not work, and be out abunch of money. i have had experiance with this,and its not fun to see a bike in your garage not being used. 2001 cr's go for about 1200$ give or take... if all it needs is 100$ in parts that would bring it up to 500$ thats about 700$ less then avarege, im not trying to discourage you, but i dont want you to buy something that you cant use for ahile....my .02$

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
Like others have said, if you are interested in getting on the track and riding then I suggest that you buy a bike that is running when you get it. Buying a bike that needs work can be a great project but you could easily spend the rest of the summer and all your money getting the bike into a reasonable shape.

Next: I really doubt that you are going to buy a bike and be entering a MX race any time soon. That doesn't mean you can't practice and get the same adrenalin rush.

The 125 two stroke would be a great bike to start with. The suspension will be what you want for MX and the power something you can handle. You may need to double your cost estimate, however, in order to find a suitable bike.

And don't forget that you will need all the protective gear. Don't even get on the bike without a helmet, boots, gloves and goggles. I wouldn't go out on a track without a chest protector. Knee pads and elbow guards are also highly recommended. A good set of riding pants will keep you from ripping your blue jeans to shreds.

When you are looking for a bike look for one that includes some of this gear. Some people are selling the bike because they are completely getting out of dirt bikes and will sell their gear with the bike. Others have old gear laying around that they would be willing to throw into the deal. Buying just the necessities can easily cost you $500 for the cheap stuff and can exceed $2000 for the top of the line stuff.

Do you have a way to transport the bike?

You should also plan on spending a few hundred dollars a year maintaining the bike. Even more if you actually get aggressive and/or start racing. Top end rebuilds should be done every 20 to 30 hours, which will cost you $150 if you do it as a preventative measure or $600 to $1000 if you wait until it seizes.

It is amazing to me how much abuse a dirt bike will take, but falls do take a toll on the equipment, and you will be falling. Brake and clutch levers are common casualties of even a gentle fall. Handlebars tend to get a custom bend to them after the bike goes cartwheeling off to the side. Clutch and throttle cables will only take getting buried into the dirt a limited number of times. Tires wear out pretty quickly. The chain, sprockets, brakes and the clutch wear out and need replacing occasionally.

My recommendation is to make sure that you have enough in the budget to actually enjoy the bike. The last thing you want is to spend all your money on a bike and then have it sit there forever because you can't afford to ride it.

Rod

Top Bottom