andym

Jun 3, 2000
Some guys I ride with pointed out that I always find somebody on the start line of any race to talk to. They kinda acted like it was bad manners or something. Am I just being friendly or is this considered rude?

taraker

Freedom Ain't Free
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 1999
I usually pick the best line and squeeze in & then ask questions like

"Where is the first turn?"
"How will I know when to go?"

Before I will know it I have plenty of elbow room and the best line to the first turn................

I might be rude but.......................:cool:

Vic

***** freak.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000
Me and my buds used to talk smack to each other on the line and act like we weren't friends. It got pretty intense some times, and seemed to put some fear in the hearts of the comp. :p

Smitty

Alowishus Devadander
Nov 10, 1999
We usually have quite a wait on the line at a Cross country and if you sit there quiet for too long you tend to get nervous. I like to get my good luck's in and razz the other guys until we get the one minute warning. I did hear a guy a few rows back start belting out "Sweet Home Alabama" for the first row after the 30 second board went up. That kinda worked on my concentration with a dead engine start.

Blue Thunder

~SPONSOR~
Dec 20, 2000
Trash talking on the line, whether its moto or a scramble, that's just as much fun as the race itself. At the scrambles we will be out there for the better part of 10 minutes before they actually start dropping the flags for the AA riders. During that time you just hang out and bs, talk trash and look forward to riding with the guys around you. We had a guy on a KTM "push button" model come up beside us, we leaned over and mentioned "electric start bikes have to line up behind the last row..club rules" he looked at us funny and said "really?" Too much fun. Get out there and enjoy yourself, I don't find any chit chat rude.

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
Talking about questionable starting line manners, how about Shane Watts.

Did you see the pic in the last Dirt Bike where Wattsy waited til the 30 second board came up and then started a burnout until the gate dropped!

I'da hated to be downwind!

Smitty

Alowishus Devadander
Nov 10, 1999
Never forget the old “Is your gas on?” or “Do you always run your tire that low?” after the 10 second board is up.

P.S. Ever forgot your goggles on top of your helmet until panic time?

holeshot

Crazy Russian
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 25, 2000
Manners?

The starting line is where you lose your manners.....:p

People that talk to you on the start line are generally trying to get into your head and mess with it.:confused:

mxracer51

Jul 2, 2001
I always like to talk to someone so I don't get nervous while i'm waiting. Even if I don't know the person I usually have made a new friend by the time the 30 second board goes up. I hate the frantic rush to the gate after the moto before you leaves though. Peoeple push in front of you and everything. I ran over one guys foot by accident last weekend because of his poor maners. lol
Smitty-I've raced several motos with my goggles around my neck. I forget untill the gate drops and then I'm thinking "oops" on my way to the first corner. I usually ride much better with no goggles to bother me. (I wear glasses.)

Jake T

Mar 23, 2000
I always leave my goggles strapped to my helmet. So I never forget them
and never have to take them on or off. Does this wear out the elastic in the strap?

holeshot

Crazy Russian
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 25, 2000
Goggles

Smitty:

I have left the goggles on top of my helmet visor on the start (once), and had to shut off to put them on.

Buts that's not the worst (I shouldn't be telling this). I took off from a start very recently, and halfway down the straight, I thought ,"Dang, I forgot to put my goggles on". I felt around on top of my helmet, but they weren't there, so I pulled over against a fence and scanned the start straight to see if I could spot them on the ground - but nothing. After looking for a few seconds, I went too rub my eyes and, "Dang, I got 'em on!". :confused:

I guess I had put a new lense in, and things were so clear that I thought I was without goggles. Psssst, this does not leave the motocross forum......

Top Bottom