Stator rewind

David M

Nov 28, 2002
Has anyone here rewound the stator for higher output on the KDX ?(have a '98 220)

I've done it before with my XR650R, and it worked just great, but I was given clear instructions on an XR650 site. I have searched the web, but can't seem to find any instructions for the KDX. If anyone knows how, would you please contact me. My address is felemur@yahoo.ca

-david

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
If you've done it before, then the same idea/rules apply.

You know then about how wire size and # of wraps apply to stator output. No, I didn't re-wrap mine. I preferred to buy an electrex stator (and keep the oem as a spare) rather than mess with it.

I've read that a simple rewrap with the existing wire (paying attention to wrap it close and tight) will result in an increased output. I'd prefer to not reuse a coated wire in any case.

http://jaw.iinet.net.au/crustyquinns/stator.html

So the key learning is that yes, you can rewind your own exciter coil, or any of the coils for that matter, and it is pretty easy - there is no magic involved at all. Just wind, don't break the line and stop when you reach the required resistance

Which happens to concern an XR! Maybe you've seen it already.

All that said to in effect say.....what specifically is your question? The same rules apply to any stator.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…