Stator troubles

CJS1

Mar 27, 2004
:worship: Can you use a 88 stator on and 83 kdx 200?

:worship: Do you need to have a new rotor with a stator?

:worship: :clue:Can someone give me some clues on how to get my bike running?

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
Stator troubles are common on the early KDX's. You can have yours re-wound, or even do it yourself. When my '84 went bad, I sent it out to be rewound, but it isn't exactly rocket science. Don't have any pages bookmarked, but if you do a search with google, you should be able to find some pages showing you how to do it. You will need the right wire and some patience.

carney

Mar 17, 2004
1. Just a guess, but probably - buykawasaki.com show 2 different part #'s but I have read here that the rotors are interchangeable. If this is true I'd bet $1.00 that the stator would interchange. So if you have the stator, see if it fits. Don't forget that you have the option of getting your stator rewound instead of replacing it with a 16 year old one that is equally prone to failure. When you get the rotor off, examine the wires carefully where they pass by the flywheel, on my bike (an '88) they started hitting the flywheel and wearing through.

2. No. But check the magnets in your rotor to see if they are loose or if the Kawi-Goo (horrible factory adhesive) is deteriorating.

3. Need way more info - did it run before the stator died? Are you sure the stator is the problem?

CJS1

Mar 27, 2004
I never had it running I took a chance and bought a bike that needed work and this seems to be the last problem. I hope!

You talk about adhesive the magnets where only held to the flywheel by the power of the magnet.

I have found out that the only difference from 83 to 88 is that in 88 there is an extra wire supplying power to the insterment cluster.

Thanks for the help!!! :thumb:

carney

Mar 17, 2004
Cool man, well I hope you get it going. Let me know what you find out about the stator swap and how you make out with reattaching those magnets. BTW what do you plan on using for that?

CJS1

Mar 27, 2004
I don't have a clue I will try to find out some info at the bike shops that I am going to tomorrow.

carney

Mar 17, 2004
Yeah see what the mechanics have to say, although they are generally more inclined to replace parts with new ones than mess with old ones, it's often not worth their time or the potential liabilty. But to save $300, I would say go with something like Permatex 4 Minute Multi Metal Epoxy p/n 84109, it's their stongest epoxy (4500 psi) and it has a temp range of -60 to 300F, oops forgot you are up north, -51 to 149C :) Just make sure the surfaces are real clean and some roughening up probably wouldn't hurt, as others have suggested.

CJS1

Mar 27, 2004
If the magnets have been chipped on the edges should they be replaced or can they still be used?

Does anyone know how to rewind a coil I could use some pointers?

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
http://jaw.iinet.net.au/crustyquinns/stator.html

http://www.all-offroad.com/DirtBikes/TrailTips/XRStatorRewind.html

Above are some links on rewinding. Not specific to KDX 200's, but the tips should help.

There are shops that can rewind your stator. You will probably have to call to get a quote, but check with companies such as ricky stator and baja designs. Probably cost around $100 + shipping. IMO, a local handyman or appliance repair shop could do it.

As far as magnet chips, my '84 had some chips from the edge of the magnets and it ran fine.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…