Stealthy Flywheel Weight for '96 KDX

CrashDoc

Mar 6, 2001
I would like to hear about people's experiences with utilizing a flywheel weight as I've never played with one .........yet!! I am just curious as to how noticable the addition of a weight is at low RPM/speed picking thru single track/big rock sections; trying to avoid stalling, ya know!!?? If anyone has a Stealthy flywheel weight that will work on a '96 KDX laying around not being used please e-mail me @ myline@qwest.net . Just let me know what ounce weight it is (don't even know if they come in more than one weight for a '96 KDX) and what you would want to part with it, I would like to try it out and see if it would work for my application! Thanks in advance for any/all imput to this subject topic! CD

spanky250

Mod Ban
Dec 10, 2000
A KDX already has a pretty heavy flywheel. I'm not sure adding more weight would be desirable, as it would make the engine rev rather slowly.

andrew

Aug 7, 1999
Steahly flywheel weight

I have a '96 KDX200, ported for top end, rev pipe and Boysen RAD valve. I fitted a steahly flywheel weight to tone down the hit a bit and provide better traction through less wheel spin on snotty hills.

Does it work? YES!
Do I notice less 'pickup speed'? NO!
It is harder to stall, but also a bit harder to 'bump start' once you do stall...
BTW, they only come in 10oz weight.
I also would have liked to 'try before I buy', but it's a bit much to expect so I bit the bullet and got it anyway; never regreted it.

cheers,

Russ

Jan 17, 2001
CrashDoc,
I have a KDX Steahly Flywheel weight for sale! It is absolutely like new and was only on the bike for a short time before I took it off to trade the bike in. I have EVERYTHING that came with it...even the darn stickers! I had it advertised here, but that was a long time ago. I'd sell it for half of what it cost new...$50 plus shipping. I am in PA. Email me if you are interested at asiapup@cvzoom.net or give me a call at 724-547-3254.

Russ

CrashDoc

Mar 6, 2001
I couldn't even spell 'Steahly' correctly when I started this post :-) ! Was browsing thru the posts on the KDX forum and noticed another post regarding flywheel weights and it jogged my brain to respond back to my past post on the same subject. Well I am happy to report that thanks to Russ I now have a flywheel weight on my 1996 KDX and really like the changes. I've been thru some pretty gnarly stuff on the last couple of rides and really like the increased tractability combined with less stalling! I have one etched memory of a relatively steep (but not that long) trail up a hill that was covered with canelope to watermelon sized rocks and ruts. I was amazed to crawl/bounce/paddle my way up that hill without stalling the bike once!! I'm guessing that I was probably well motivated by watching my friend bouncing and paddling his way up it on his XR400 :-)!! All the things like the Gnarly pipe, RB carb, 12-47 gearing, 240 engine and now the flywheel weight just seem to come togeather and really make it a fun and tractable ride!

Posing a new subject/question; what is a nice quiet SA for my bike?? I am currently running a Pro Circuit SA and it's kind of a big ugly looking thing PLUS it seems a bit loud( I did repack it with some high buck super whammy packing material) . I've already lost enough of my hearing to loud music in another life so would really like to pursue something quieter as I currently wear earplugs whenever I ride. I do have the stock/original SA that came with the bike and was wondering if putting that back on would be too much of a 'cork' to my fine running 240 engine?? I might start a new post to present my SA question but figured since I was already typing away here I'd put it out for review to the dedicated folks reading about flywheel weights :-) !! Thanks in advance for any imput you might have on this subject. Ciao, CD

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
CrashDoc

I'm SORRY you got Russ's weight. It meant I had to go buy a brand new one!!

Thanks for the input after you got it. I haven't put mine on yet to have any personal opinion.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
CrashDoc

I'm SORRY you got Russ's weight. It meant I had to go buy a brand new one!! ;)

Thanks for the input after you got it. I haven't put mine on yet to have any personal opinion. I've got a hill in mind for it about exactly as the one you describe.

re: S/As.

I have a PC...my riding buddy (same year kdx) has a TCII. His is quieter than mine. Count on a good deal of trouble getting an FMF TCII to fit. His came missing all the mounting hardware.

I've read countless times on this site the idea that aftermarket S/As don't have any advantage except weight reduction. I found the PC to make a considerable difference in the bottom-end power delivery on my 200. So... while the OEM S/A will certainly be quieter..I would expect a good bit of corkage going on.

Svock

~SPONSOR~
Nov 28, 2001
RE: S/A

Hi,

I have a Pro Circuit Pipe, and an FMF TCII Silencer/Spark Arrestor. It doesnt make it much louder, as the biggest difference is the pipe. But it does enhance the bottom a little bit, as well as some over-rev, not that you need it on a KDX though.;) The biggest improvement is the weight savings, and the fact that you can repack it. Quite honestly, the stock pipe and silencer shoud be used as a boat anchor, not exhaust components. Good Luck

Happy Riding

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom