dirttrails

Mar 20, 2002
I need some help figuring out how to fix my steering alignment. The other day while I was out I crashed and the bike came down on its left side and as a result my handle bars and front fender don't like up with the front tire. The front tire now points to the right about two inches or so.

I'm trying to get some idea's on what its going to take to straighten this out. This link shows what the clamp assembly looks like.

From pushing down on the front forks nothing feels like it's binding and the forks look straight, so hopefully nothing is fouled there.

Rooster

Today's Tom Sawyer
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 24, 2000
Easy fix!

It sounds like you "tweeked" the fork tubes. All you need to do is loosen up the fork tube clamps, and straighten everything out. Start by lining the tire up with the fender and make sure it is square with the clamps. Then, if your handlebars are still out of alignment, they are most likely bent.

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
I've also had good luck with loosening the bolts and then spin the front tire as fast as you can. Now, grab the front brake. It usually puts everyting into alignment right away. Don't foget to loosen the axle bolts as well, they twist too.
Elk

B

biglou

Handlebar clamps, too. I've tweaked my bars before in the same way you've described. Try to ignor the fender at first, using the front wheel as reference and loosen the bar clamps, then straighten and re-tighten them. Might help to have a buddy hold the front wheel and also to slightly loosen, then tighten the bar clamps. :)

David Trustrum

~SPONSOR~
Jan 25, 2001
Put the axle back in without the wheel & loosen one fork leg. Twist the fork leg if you can. If the slider walks left to right along the axle then it is bent. Repeat for other side.

It’s pretty common to bend the forks in a decent crash. Most people just try to force them back into line twisting them in the triple clamps, but do you really want your forks binding?

If they are bent most bike shops can straighten them with a press & a careful operator. You can save yourself a few dollars taking the forks apart.

Check the axle is straight on a flat surface.

Layton

~SPONSOR~
Aug 2, 2000
Of course, if you are on the trail you can just roll up to a tree, or other suitable object, and using the handlebars, smack the front tire against the tree several times until the tire is back in alignment. :)

dirttrails

Mar 20, 2002
Cool, I'll give those idea's a shot tonight. Sheesh, I hope nothings bend.. course looking at it I can't help but think that somethings bent. I guess I'll find out soon enough though.

Top Bottom