kajohnson

Nov 12, 2006
I was wondering if people who have chosen to use steering dampers are happy with their decisions or if they have discontinued use. I'm experiencing headshake that I can't seem to eliminate by tuning my front fork. It usually happens during heavy braking/accelerating when coming into/exiting sharp corners. Any thoughts? Should I get a steering damper, and if so, what kind?

darringer

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 2, 2001
The ONLY regret I have with my Scott's damper is that I waited so long to get one. When I ride track I loosen it up a bit. On the trails and hillclimbs I stiffen it up. What's nice is you can raise your forks in the triple clamps for better turning and still have zero headshake. I only have had experience with the Scott's. But I'm sure the GPR works similar.

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
patto3 said:
I reckon they're a waste of money. QUOTE]

Spoken by someone that has probably never used one. :coocoo:

They work great. Well worth the money. Takes away the headshake and helps with armpump. I use Scott's.

dales298

Mostly Useless
~SPONSOR~
Nov 25, 2003
I love my Scotts! Using a steering damper will help eliminate head shake and give you confidence in cross ruts at speed.

Dale

Last edited:

rohleder149

Oct 11, 2006
a stabilizer, coupled with suspension mods, are the 2 best mods you can do to a bike....no question. i like the RTT unit.....check them out at www.rttmotorsports.com it's adjustable on the fly via a handlebar mounted switch.....goes from full dampening, half dampening, to zero dampening.....also, it's integrated into the triple clamp, so you don't have to worry about impaling yourself on a big chunk of aluminum on top of your bars (this was a big concern for me)

2strokerfun

May 19, 2006
I'll probably never get one, but I'm curious as heck about how they work and what they feel like while riding. Can anyone explain please??

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
2strokerfun said:
how they work and what they feel like while riding. Can anyone explain please??

2stroker.

If they are adjusted correctly, you can't really feel any difference when you are riding. BUT, when you hit a rock at speed that would normally put you in a big tank slapper, it doesn't happen. :yikes: Same with cross ruts,roots and braking bumps. Braking bumps that would tear the bars out of your hands become controllable. Allows you to come into a rough corner much faster. On a rough track or trail they reduce arm pump.

They work by dampening the high speed or hard hits while not affecting low speed steering.

One of the best investments I ever made. :cool:

Ol'89r

rohleder149

Oct 11, 2006
couldn't agree with ol'89r more.....you really don't notice it.....my RTT stabilizer has a handle bar mounted on the fly adjustment where you can actually turn it off. i did that every once and a while, and you really notice how many times that thing saves your butt. it's real good for the unexpected little things like rocks, tree roots, etc. that normally would catch you off guard. most of the major brands have an "away from center" dampening, meaning it only works when the bars are going away from the center point, but not when returning to it. they dampen for something like 30 degrees. one real cool feature of the RTT unit is that it's got a progressive break away point. it dampens fully from 0 degrees to like 20 degrees then it gradually turns itself off between 20 degrees and 30 degrees. most other stabilizers (gpr, scotts) will dampen fully from 0 degrees to 30 degrees and then just turn off. it can sometimes be kind of harsh and noticable.
honestly.....my stabilizer is probably my favorite part of the bike.....i wont ride without one anymore

trial_07

Play with gravity
~SPONSOR~
Apr 26, 2004
I have no doubt that this works really good, but I kinda jumped seeing the price. Wouldn't it be more advantageous to revalve the front forks? I have problems keeping the bike under control at high speeds, seeing the price though, I'll live with it!

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
I plan on getting one after riding with guys that do. They effortlessly fly through nasty rocky crap while I struggle to maintain my sanity. :)

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
trial_07 said:
Wouldn't it be more advantageous to revalve the front forks?
QUOTE]

Re-valving the forks will help but it is not even close to a steering damper. Same with moving the forks down. That will also help but slows down your steering. With a damper you can run your forks short for quicker steering and still not get head shake.

knowiam

~SPONSOR~
Oct 17, 2006
How Difficult to install

How much difficulty would an individual with slightly better than average mechanical skill have installing on a '06 crf 450x.

The reasons I ask is that I've not studied one that has been installed... and I'm not sure what else I would need to complete the job...Triple clamp?

There's no welding on the Scott or other brand right?

I appreciate your input and wisdom. :nod:

Ken

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
knowiam said:
How much difficulty would an individual with slightly better than average mechanical skill have installing on a '06 crf 450x.
what else I would need to complete the job...Triple clamp?

Ken

Ken.

The Scott's is very easy to install. You can buy a kit with everything plus a new triple clamp or you can keep your original triple clamp and just replace the upper bar clamp. The Scott's triple clamps have different bar positions and they are a very nice billet piece.

On the CRF450X there is no welding. The Post mount is a bolt-on and you only have to remove the triple clamp to install it on the frame. They also have a kit that mounts the damper under the bars and one that mounts the damper on the front fender.

Check out www.scottsperformance.com

trial_07

Play with gravity
~SPONSOR~
Apr 26, 2004
Are they used for MX, track riding? I've never seen one.

darringer

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 2, 2001
I use my damper on the track. Actually helps keep me on my line. Since it's adjustable on the fly, if I want, I just loosen it up and it can't even be felt. When I'm back out on the trails, I tighten it back up. It's just a simple thumbwheel adjustment. Takes just a second.

trial_07

Play with gravity
~SPONSOR~
Apr 26, 2004
So I guess it's not worth it for a guy like me only track riding?

KelvinKDX

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 25, 2000
knowiam said:

The reasons I ask is that I've not studied one that has been installed... and I'm not sure what else I would need to complete the job...Triple clamp?

I appreciate your input and wisdom. :nod:

Ken

It took me about an hour to do the installation on my crf250x so i would expect the same on the 450X. Some slight filing of the frame casting marks werethe most time comsuming. As for technical difficulty - if you can make popcorn in the mircowave you can mount the Scotts. Just follow the directions. I used the BRP SUB mount (Scotts Underbar mount).

Attachments

• controls250Xdrn.jpg
    controls250Xdrn.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 362
Last edited:

darringer

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 2, 2001
trial_07, not true. It can help on the track. Because headshake is controlled by the damper, the forks can be raised in the triple clamps for sharper turning. I ran a damper on my '02 CR265 with the forks raised in the clamps. That bike carved like an RM. I could easily hold an inside line. And, because of the damper, it was very stable on rough, long straights. Works very well when crossing ruts changing to a different line, too. I haven't talked to anyone that uses a damper that was sorry they bought one. Also, as KelvinKDX, I run the Submount for my damper. I still use a barclamp pad, so it's like the damper is not even there.

trial_07

Play with gravity
~SPONSOR~
Apr 26, 2004
Thanks for the reply darringer!

knowiam

~SPONSOR~
Oct 17, 2006
Thanks for the advice 89r and Kelvin

Thanks for the link Ol89r...that is a help to me.

KelvinKDX- Thanks for the photo of your Scott install...but now, I see I am missing a speedo/hour timer/mile meter...xmas is coming! :nod: (GPS next?)

Thanks for your responses-I'll likely be installing and riding within the next few weeks.

Ken

KelvinKDX

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 25, 2000
knowiam said:
KelvinKDX- Thanks for the photo of your Scott install...but now, I see I am missing a speedo/hour timer/mile meter...xmas is coming! :nod: (GPS next?)
Ken
Ken,

Besides the TT Endurance shown in the picture I did install a dedicated hour meter that i located under the seat.

JimK

john stu

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 7, 2002
i just put on my scotts fender mounted damper today and i was extremly happy with the fit and quality on the brackets and the damper intself, it does look silly out there on the fender but wow even the frame bracket that was curved for the frame fit like a glove with not even the smallest gap (just drill and tap the two holes to mount on the frame with the included tap and drill bit even the tap seemed to made really clean threads) nasa couldn't get it to fit any better......im impressed very well made i guess you get what you pay for with this one..............know lets see how well it works ill post in the spring

Top Bottom