billtx

~SPONSOR~
Dec 22, 2002
I'm considering adding a steering stabilizer - primarily as a result of a shoulder injury. Hoping it will help me hang on if the forks deflect.

Do you need to change your suspension settings? Just curious.. Let me know if anyone has any experience.

Thanks.

DEANSFASTWAY

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 16, 2002
Billtx : A good stabilizer can help crutch a soft or loose acting front end , In other words you may be able to set your bike up a bit softer and plusher and still have a good degree of stability which might otherwise be found by running a firmer setting. You can also sometimes make the rear of a bike firmer or run more shock spring preload to help a bike turn .Some big KTMs need a firmer rear setup than ideal to help turn sharp but thats sort of a trait dialed in by the triple clamp and frame geometry. Imagine if you had a bike that was not very stable at speed and you would need to turn the spring or rear ride height looser to give stability , the lower the rear got the worse it may have turned in tight situations. If you installed a damper you may have been able to run a firmer rear and put more bias on the front and it could turn better. Some early 90s CRs turned well but shook the front end at the worst of times. A damper can really help you out in a bad situation . So I guess to answer your question its a possibility. A damper can also help you out when you get a bit tired in like a long race as it can help you hang on . Good Luck

billtx

~SPONSOR~
Dec 22, 2002
Thanks for the input. I'm looking at adding one primarily due to a shoulder/rotator cuff injury and lack of strength when it comes to holding on to the bars when they deflect. I like the fact that softer is OK, I'll be getting one soon and will try a few things out. What you said makes sense and confirms some of what I've been thinking.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom