ihillig

Sep 25, 2001
when i trurn my bar back and forth- it feels like it is rubbing, a lot of resistance. what i mean is, i gotta either grease or replace my bearing. how much would this be and how long would it take? i have a '90 kdx 200 that im trying to sell. thanks a lot
illig

Dr.Zaius

Mod Ban
May 7, 2002
I recently had the same problem with my KDX. The steering was very tight and notchy-feeling. It is not hard to clean and grease the bearings; it only takes a few minutes. I do not know about replacing the bottom bearing though- I think it is pressed on, but the top one was just "floating" on mine. Best of luck!

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
If it's JUST stiff, you might get by with cleaning/greasing.

If it 'snicks' or has a detent with front end pointing straight ahead, the bottom one likely requires replacement.

Top one falls out..bottom one is pressed onto the stem. You'll have to take it to a shop to have it pressed off (if pressing is the choice and you don't have one). One poster got his off with a big hammer and screwdriver..but he was a bearing person by trade. Probably knew some tricks.

I cut mine off with an air tool. Put a new one back one with a piece of pipe (1 1/4) and a sledge (2 1/2#). Seems bearing was around $30 or so from a kawi dealer.

If you have a bad one, you'll be happy with the handling once you get the new one on.

Top Bottom