Senior KX Rider

Super Power AssClown
Nov 9, 1999
racerx

Bubba probable for High Point

From what we're hearing from several sources in the pro motocross pits, 125cc National Motocross Champion James "Bubba" Stewart is planning on returning to the circuit next Sunday at High Point Raceway, just in time for the third round of the 12-race AMA/Chevy Trucks U.S. National Motocross Series on May 25. The 17-year-old Team Kawasaki rider broke his collarbone on May 3 at the 125cc East-West Shootout in Las Vegas in a crash already immortalized on videotape by ESPN2. Many guessed that he would miss at least the first three rounds of the series and return at the fourth race in Southwick, Massachusetts, which follows two weeks after High Point. But after seeing veterans Mike Brown, Grant Langston, and Ryan Hughes go 1-2-3 at the opening round last weekend, Stewart and Kawasaki are realizing that he can't afford to miss three full races and still have any shot at the championship. Nothing is official, and Kawasaki and the Stewarts certainly won't send James out to ride if he can't hold on. But if he can, he will try to salvage as many points as he can at High Point. Racer X will let you know more as soon as we know more!

Kawidude

D'oh!
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 23, 2000
Wow. So does anyone think Bubba can beat/compete with everyone with a busted wing? I think he's got it in him assuming he doesn't eat it again. I guess he doesn't really NEED to win the first few rounds. He could finish top 5 and still be in a decent position assuming he can win the later rounds.

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
I figured he'd be back in time for High Point. When I broke my collarbone, I was riding at 4 weeks. High Point will be 3 weeks for Bubba and he had a plate put in so he's more intact and should be healing faster. Plus if Bubba wants a crack at the championship, he can't afford to miss High Point. And if for some reason he reinjures himself because he comes back too soon, after the 12-round MX series ending Labor Day weekend, there is four lonely months before the 2004 SX season (the only real races over this time is the MX Des Nations and US Open - which Bubba is rumored to be riding his 125 - maybe with a few more cc's - in the 250 class).

Say, for instance, Bubba averages a 2nd place finish from High Point - Steel City = 22 pts x 20 motos = 440 pts.

And the runner up averages a 4th place finish all season = 18 pts x 24 motos = 432 pts.

Regardless, Bubba needs to get some points at High Point and it will still come down to Steel City for the championship. Of course you can probably expect most of the top riders to suffer 1 DNF if the season is anything like the past few 125 title chases. Everyone seems to get a flat tire, blow a motor, damage a radiator, throw a chain, run out of gas, break a wheel, crash out, etc. at least one moto a year. Especially when you got guys like Brown and Langston on the track :eek:

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
Yes, trouble with a plate is if you crash with it in, what happens to the bone? ive known people to bend plates but this was from overstressing them, in a crash i suspect it will shatter the bone.I had a femur nail in my leg and didnt dare ride with it.

zcookie49

Seven OUT!
Dec 21, 2000
Do you think he will be back completely? like doing the practices and such, or just soley entering 2 motos each Sunday till he is healed?
You guys are right about the toughness, we will get to see how well he holds up if he does come back after missing 2 rounds...

490Dave

Mar 18, 2003
You can bet that wasn't the first time Bubba's gone down, so i'm guessin he's got the "Right Stuff" to compete, i just hope someone gives him a good run for the money , i dont want to see an "all Bubba" run this year.

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
High Point

-2 weeks off-

Southwick

Budds Creek

-3 weeks off-

Red Bud

Given he doesn't crash at the first 3 rounds... Bubba should be more than 100% at Red Bud (9 weeks after breaking his collarbone). The first three races will be the most difficult. And if High Point is a little rough, at least he has 2 weeks to rest up before Southwick.

mx547

Ortho doc's wet dream
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2000
Originally posted by marcusgunby
ive known people to bend plates but this was from overstressing them

i did that, in my arm. i never did get it fixed. it's still in there, bent. :scream:

jboomer

~SPONSOR~
Jan 5, 2002
He's still a young kid. You can expect him to heal fairly quickly and have some of those "flexible" bones! I think he'll be fine too. If he's hurting while riding, it'll just slow him down and keep him from crashing. Remember Sx last season, he rode with a broken foot.

94ruck

Sep 14, 2001
What he doesn't need is to be in the same shape as the other KID, Pastrana...I would wait it out.
35 minutes plus 2 laps on rough tracks can't be good on a collarbone injury.
just my opinion

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
2 rounds, 2 different winners. If someone else wins the next round.... :)

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
The plate and screws (or Haige Pin) will help keep everything snug and from the bones grinding together, but at 4 weeks out with a double break (no hardware) I could not lift my arm above my waist, let alone grab a handlebar.

(as if I even have any business making comparisons with this guy!)

:worship:

Sawblade

Timmy Timmy Timmy!
Sep 24, 2000
The first time I broke my collarbone in 87 I went riding 3 weeks later. I had no hardware as it was a clean break. I re-broke it from just landing a small double I had done a million times before. Never did go back to the doctor. Had one riding buddy eyeball the collarbone while the other one snugged down the brace I was wearing to keep the bones aligned while they healed. :eek:

Its a risk for Bubba to come back. Nikki's right, it may make for a tight points race come Labor day. It will make it interesting for sure!

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom