Stiff KDX Clutch Pull

Brian

Stanbagger
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 1, 2001
Lately, I've been having pains and loss of feeling in my left wrist after a while of riding. I'm thinking this may have to do with my stiff clutch pull. I didn't realize how stiff it was until I went and looked at new bikes on Saturday, puleed in on some clutches, and I swear, they felt like butter! Now, I realize my bike is far from new, but is there any way to get back that smooth, easy pull?

Tom Ludolff

Oct 3, 2002
The first thing I would try is lube everything thoroughly. You might need to replace the cable if it has too much dirt in it.

Tom L.

KDX'r in IN

~SPONSOR~
May 26, 2001
This is a question instead of an answer but it goes right along with this. I was told not to use the cable lube because the cable has teflon lining and the lube would hold dirt worse than just letting it be. What do you think?

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
From my experience there is NO validity to the idea of not using cable lube!! I would advise going down to a bike shop and getting one of those neat little cable clamp lubers that you shoot the juice to the cable thru via the little red squirt tube found on cans of WD and the like. I can guarnentee your clutch pull will be terrific again (unless the cable is frayed then it is new cable time), ANY spray lube will work just fine!! Also, if you decide to lube your throttle too heed this advice - DO IT FROM THE CARB END SO YOU DONT BLOW ICKY INTO THE CARB!!!
Woodsy

KelvinKDX

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 25, 2000
Brian,

Do you still have the stock clutch springs in your KDX? I think that you do. If this is so your clutch should be pretty easy to pull. I would remove the cable from the bike and slide the cable in the housing by hand to see if there is any drag. Actually you could probably just unhook it from the clutch lever at the crank case.

note: i have heard people brag about aftermarket cables (can't remember maker) and how smooth they are (the cables that is).

BRush

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2000
Usually it’s one of two things:

- Your cable is dirty and/or worn and the friction is high.
- You may have grooves worn in the clutch basket fingers. Severe grooving can have an effect on clutch pull.

You could try any one or all of these suggestions:

Get a new cable. They are not that expensive. Motion pro makes one the is about 50% less than the stocker.

Get an MSR Raptor ‘easy pull’ clutch lever and set it on the easiest pull setting. This has worked really well for me.

Check your clutch basket for wear. If there is heavy notching, the el-cheapo fix is careful filing to extend life (but start saving for a new basket). Better would be send it to Fredette to get it milled out. He’s got a special jig to do this and mine has lasted two seasons since. Best would be a new Hinson basket.

Brian

Stanbagger
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 1, 2001
First, I guess I'll try putting some thin lube on the cable. To do this, do I really need to remove the cable? The bike is in good shape otherwise, so I doubt that the cable is frayed, etc... If none of this works, I'll get a new cable, but it probably isn't neccessary. BTW, Jim, yes, stock clutch springs.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Use the clutch a whole lot less.....that will help your pains and loss of feeling.

Certainly don't need it to shift....up or down. Doubt you spend THAT much time fanning it.

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
Stan,
It's a clutch cable, not an heirloom. Replace it!

A new one is probably about $10-$15. As decribed above, the cable should pull as smooth as silk. If you route the new one incorrectly it might feel as bad as your old one.

DVO

Nov 3, 2001
DO IT FROM THE CARB END SO YOU DONT BLOW ICKY INTO THE CARB!!!
Good point! I didn't realize it untill I read this that that's what I found on my carbs slidy thing-a-ma-jigger. Now I'll disassemble at the carb before-hand. Thanks!

Lorin

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 25, 1999
$15 is cheap insurance for a working clutch. Motion Pro actually makes a "Terminator" type cable that is line with teflon, and doesnt require any silicon based lubes. The msr raptor lever also works well. Clutch cables rank right up there with levers; It is well worth having a spare clutch & carb cable, and levers in the truck. It really stinks to ruin a good ride due to a broken $15 part. Just take and lube your old cable, and when the new one needs to be lubed, just rotate it with the old one and lube and store it in the truck box.

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
DVO your welcome! Stan - No you dont need to remove the cable to lube it! remove the cable end from the lever/tower - slide the cable luber on with the wide opening facing the cable cover. Slide the luber down the cable cover cap until it reaches the tightest point inside the Luber. Slide the squirt tube for the lube into the lube hole and squirt it till it comes out the bottom! Here is something else that I like to do - before lubing the cable flush it real good with carb cleaner (dont do this if the cabel is coated - it wil melt the coating) and watch the gook flood out of the cable! It always makes me wonder how inthe world all that nasty stuff got in there - sheez - its not like I cross rivers and ride in dusty dirty conditions LOL. After you clean the cabe with carb cleaner flood it out good with WD and then a little heavier lube (Castrol makes great stuff). With care those cables can last a long time and you dont have to hassle with swapping them out. After you do this a few times you will find out it is VERY easy and only takes a minute!!!
Woodsy
By the way gentlemen, I may be from the old school but I consider this as part of MAINTENANCE!!! When I change my oil or do a filter clean or brush down and oil my Oring chain I do my clutch cable too!! I woul do the throttle cabel like this but my KDX has GREAT rubber seals on both ends to keep the dirt out and I dont see the need to do it as often. To each his own I guess.....

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…