Camstyn

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 3, 1999
Here's the scoop. The bike is about 4 months old now, I've got maybe 20 or so hours on her. It came overflowing with grease, so it shouldn't be dry yet. I've never used the pressure washer on it, and have done my best to avoid wet conditions. Last ride out I crashed pretty hard. Someone else loaded my bike for me, and I have been avoiding it out in the garage there for a few weeks. I got around to cleaning her up and now the steering is very stiff. I'm sure it wasn't like that before I went out last. Is it possible to damage the steering stem bearing area from a crash? The frame looks fine, no damage, I've never touched the nut on top, it's never come loose or anything.. I would figure it needs greasing except that it seems to have developed awfully fast, in my experience there is a lot more warning than that for when a bearing is going to need lube.

Any ideas?

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
The upper and lower clamps may be tweaked. Take off the hole kit and kabootle, start from scratch and grease them. Align them up and see if they are still stiff. Make sure you check the clamps and see if they move freely before you put it all back together. I doubt the bearings got damaged but they might have been stuff with dirt from the dirt nap you took. Good luck

IrishEKU

A General PITA.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 21, 2002
Good Advise Elk, that's my take on it too.

Phillip

Camstyn

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 3, 1999
Dang, I was hoping someone would know a way of fixing this that would involve staring at the bike and drinking beer..

IrishEKU

A General PITA.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 21, 2002
Originally posted by Cam Mitchell
Dang, I was hoping someone would know a way of fixing this that would involve staring at the bike and drinking beer..

Well if you want the "Red Neck" fix it tip that will also work, and I am assuming that you are talking about being "Stiff" only when riding here it is;

Loosen the triple clamp mount bolts and true the tire. If it's bound while on the stand and still stiff the berings are bound and squirt a ton of WD40 into the berings and work the bars back and forth. Downside is you will have to tear it down anyway to replace the greese you just dissolved with the "liquid Wrench".

Phillip

jmics19067

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 22, 2002

invite a bored mechanically inclined buddy over and watch him? just dont give him any beer until he is atleast finished your bike Also promise him the world so sabotauge isnt an issue

Camstyn

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 3, 1999
Nah, it's stiff just sitting on the stand, has mucho resistance from turning the bars back and forth. I may try jmics' method. :)

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
Use the Elk Method. I also really[/B] doubt you hurt the bearings. Be careful when you tighten up the headset because it can be a little tricky. You actually want to leave the "nut" below the triple clamps a hair loose because when you tighten the triple clamp up it will take up a little of the loosness. If you get that first nut perfect, by the time you tighten the triple clamp main nut, the steering will be too tight.

Camstyn

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 3, 1999
I did it the laziest way possible.. I just went riding, and it loosened itself up. :thumb:
I'll be greasing everything soon anyways, so I'll get a chance to inspect inside, but I'm not concerned about anymore.

Top Bottom