stiffer fork and shock springs?

ihillig

Sep 25, 2001
OK, i wiegh about 235 lbs and my suspention is so soft that i bottom out w/ not much air. the problem is, i dont want to spend more than a few hundred and i am a bad, stupid mechaninc. maybe i should just go on a diet, but i think new springs would be more easy. so here goes, i heard of putting xr400 springs on the kdx fork (i have a '90 kdx 200). if this would be enough for my wieght, where could i get theese and how much cash? and about me being a bad mechanic, well, i am one, could i put the springs in in an hour or two? would i need a lot of special tools? ive done some searching on this but cant seem to find the answers im lookin' for. now, onto the shcok spring, this is the major problem thats setting me back, i sit on my bike and like half the travel is gone. so, could i just buy a stiffer spring, spend an hour of work and be done with it? as i said i dont want to spend a lot of money, and when youre 15 years old and fill propane tanks for a job, you start to measure prices in numbers of propane tanks rather than dollars.
so. whatever your reply is, thanks
Illig

Henk

Apr 15, 2000
Not sure about the cost of springs but if I were you I'd think about posting in the suspension forum for recomended spring weights. As far as installing fork and shock springs when you have them it's easy.
You might consider starting by replacing the fork oil with a heavier weight if the spings end up being too pricey

penguin

~SPONSOR~
N. Texas SP
Feb 19, 2000
I am about your weight and am using .42 fork springs and a 5.2 shock spring from Racetech. at your weight you need to put springs in both ends or the suspension will be horribly unbalanced. The KDX has very soft fork springs stock, the shock spring is not as bad. At the least you need the fokr springs, you moight be able to crank in some more preload and get by with the shock spring. The price for the spings is around $90 US.

thorman75

"Team Army"
Dec 9, 1999
race tech has a program on their site,put in your info,weight,bike type of riding etc.the computer will give reccomendations

Canadian Dave

Super Power AssClown
Apr 28, 1999
You might also consider giving Jeff at Fredette Racing Products a call and see if he can help you out. Jeff has a large inventory of used KDX parts which, depending on your needs might, might make your suspension mods more affordable. Tell'm the guys from JustKDX sent ya.

I'd also suggest having your suspension serviced if you haven't in the last year or so. Properly maintained suspension lasts much longer and works way better.

David

EBOD

Nov 1, 2001
I think the XR springs are .40s and will not be stiff enough for you. I weigh about 200 lbs and I went with .42s (the Race Tech people recommended either .42s or .44s). Thus, with an extra 35 lbs., I'd bet you should be on at least .44s. I think my springs were about $80 pluse tax. I am also a bad mechanic, so I paid someone to put them on (it should take a good mechanic less than an hour to put them on).

The stiffer springs make a huge difference--they'll be worth filling some tanks for.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Yep..late model XR400 springs are .40. I use a set..got 'em from jeremy (mx-tech). What's nice about them is they are OEM..and thus hotwound. I'm #175 or so. Would be too small for y'all.

Still, you could get a set of springs FOR an XR400 @ .42 or .44 rate and you'd be better off than a set FOR a KDX. They are 60mm longer or so..and that takes up the space in the fork tube that is currently (being oem configured) filled up with a piece of steel tube! What a great suspension component THAT is!

Well, it doesn't sag, require any maintenance..and I don't know of a hop-up to a 4" piece of steel tube! Guess that's a good thing! :confused:

The difference between a 470mm (kdx length) .40 spring and the XR400 530mm spring was a pretty big deal. Far superior ride!

I say longer IS better!! :D

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom