jonesy

Jan 31, 2000
I ride a 00' DRZ400E which I take mostly offroad, but also like to moto quite a bit. I had the bike revalved front and back and absolutely love the difference this made. However, this bike is still probably over 265lbs (I have lightened it up a bit). I weigh a little over 180 w/gear and the stock springs are supposed to be correct for my weight(can't remember the actual rate). My questions are these, can I assume that the stock springs, especially after two yrs of tough love could be fairly inaccurate? would running stiffer springs make my bike feel a little more responsive/nimble on the track? also, would it create problems with the offroad/tight trail capabilities of my bike. Set up as it is, this is by far the best offroad bike I have ever riden. I would just like it to work a little better for mx.

thanks much for any insight

afm_722

Apr 24, 2000
Many times a suspension tuner will specify aftermarket springs and unless your stock springs were tested you don't know exactly what rate they are (not to mention the 2 years of abuse). You'll definitely have to give up a little for your applications. If you were to say Hare Scramble to Motocross, then were just talking clicker changes. Tight tight trail to Motocross, too wide a range in my opinion.

I would look to split the difference and get some opinions on the correct spring rate for you and swap the springs out. Again, you don't necessarily have to go stiffer (because someone says you do), but you can get a known good from Race Tech or Eibach. Try out thumpertalk.com too!

crkid

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 2001
If you ride mostly offroad and the suspension is set the way you want it for that keep the same springs. Maybe before you head out to the track play with the clickers and find out where it's best. You should probably want to keep it a little more geared toward a trail bike since that's what it is and that's what you do most of.

At 180lbs. if you find yourself needing stiffness more than playing with the clickers can provide maybe it would be time for a motocrosser.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom