Still got starting problems :(

Morvo

Oct 31, 2005
I've been having problems starting since putting this new pick-up coil on my 1995 kx250. The other day when I first installed it the bike would start, just, but wouldn't run above idling speeds. The kickstart kept on kicking back up every now and again too :yikes: I adjusted the pickup coil gap yesterday to 6 thousenths of an inch, retarded the ignition timing, via the stator plate, so now the marks are aligned in the centre and now it won't even start! We tried bumping it down a hill and it fired for a split second then died out. We took the plug out and it was oily, but the plug was new in when we first put the pick-up coil in as I mentioned above. I cleaned the oily residue off the plug and checked for a spark, it has a nice fat blue spark across the gaps which I presume is fine? So what do you guys think, carb problems? I readjusted the float level yesterday as it was too high. The only thing that I can think of with it being a fuel problem is that the bike had been sat in the shed for a month or so with fuel in the tank and carb, would this gack everything up, like the reeds?

Help! :( :bang:

Last edited:

Morvo

Oct 31, 2005
I've just fitted new boyessen power reeds and the bike still doesn't want to play! I noticed though when changing the reeds, since I had to remove the exhaust front pipe to do so, quite a bit of black runny oil came out of the pipe. And when trying to kick the bike over today, the same colour oil was coming out from the exhaust outlet port on the cylinder. What does this mean? It smells like semi burnt two stroke oil and fuel?

nickyd

Sep 22, 2004
did you try a new plug?

excessive oil could be a bad crank seal on the clutch side letting tranny oil - the bike would have a whitish smoke when running

Morvo

Oct 31, 2005
The plug is fairly new but I will try a new one. The bike does smoke quite a lot especially when you first start it and its cold. On normal operation, when it runs, it is fine but if you stay on low revs for too long the bike will smoke again but not as bad as when you first start it. And the bike fouls plugs constantly even though I have fiddled with fuelling numerous of times! How hard is the crank seal to replace? I have split the two cases only a few months ago at it isn't leaking there.

NO HAND

~SPONSOR~
Jun 21, 2000
Tha same thing happened to me a while ago on a YZ125 85' I had bought that bike completely dismantled in cardboard boxes and couldn't tell a nail from a screw. A long time later... I had spark and everything was rebuilt as new but it wouldn't start. It turned out it was the stator that I had installed 180 degree wrong. It fired at the botom instead of top. It took me a while to find out because when I checked for spark I had a fat blue spark every time.

Morvo

Oct 31, 2005
NO HAND said:
Tha same thing happened to me a while ago on a YZ125 85' I had bought that bike completely dismantled in cardboard boxes and couldn't tell a nail from a screw. A long time later... I had spark and everything was rebuilt as new but it wouldn't start. It turned out it was the stator that I had installed 180 degree wrong. It fired at the botom instead of top. It took me a while to find out because when I checked for spark I had a fat blue spark every time.

My stator is on the right way as it worked ok before I changed the pickup coil, apart from it kept on fouling plugs. It sparks fine but just won't run :(

Morvo

Oct 31, 2005
nickyd said:
On your bike, changing the crank seal means splitting the cases. when you split the cases did you replace the crank seals?

No I didn't, but I have had no oil loss what so ever, not even the smallest amount. I had a brain wave this morning in the shower lol, going back to NO HANDS reply about the stator being 180 degrees out, maybe I wired the new pickup coil on the wrong way round, because there are only two ways that it can go. It started, just, when I first put it on, but the timing was really advanced, but when I tried to give it some revs it wouldn't pick up and it would just pop and backfire. But since that start I have retarded the ignition so maybe it is totally out of sync with the piston stroke as before it was just enough to run roughly. What do you think, crank seal aside?

Last edited:

Morvo

Oct 31, 2005
Well, the bike is back to square...I forget which square i'm on, but it starts again now. But it does the same thing like it did when we first put this new pickup coil back on the bike. It always seems to start on a backfire and it smokes like fook, and the revs won't increase. If you try to rev it the engine will just splutter and back fire constantly. The timing is bang in the centre marks on the stator plate and the plug is brand new. It has a fat spark too. The only thing that I can think of is that someone has sent us the wrong stator plate pickup coil. Any more suggestions? When the protuding plate on the flywheel passes the pickup coil, the pickup isn't bang in the centre of the plate, would this make a huge difference?

crazy4nitro

Aug 31, 2005
my manual says ....on the timing issue.
"the mark on the flywheel and the stator shoud be inline when the piston is .080" before top dead center then tighten the stator screws"

make sure the engine is turning the correct direction when coming to top dead center....
just a shot in the dark...

Crazy

crazy4nitro

Aug 31, 2005
That would be 2mm in metric measurment.... ;)

Top Bottom