Stock '01 KDX 220 front fork springs

BucKat

~SPONSOR~
Mar 27, 2002
As the subject says...Should the springs be change asap..
any other'NECESSARY' changes.. not engine performance mods..not yet anyway.
I want to ride the engine stock for a good while.
I'm talking about 'keep'n me out of trouble,absolutely necessary' mods to keep it safe and fun.

Woods,trails and some wide open stuff.

that is assuming I buy the bike.
Thanks
Joe

gooby

Nov 8, 2001
yes,it's more what u weigh ,stock springs r unbalanced to begin with. it'll wash n knife or nose dive ....very unplesant.give ur ht/wt and type of ridin someone can get u in the ballpark also good tires the k dunlop is not that great imo.get the rear sag set correct to ur wt.

Canadian Dave

Super Power AssClown
Apr 28, 1999
Yes I would take the time to insure the suspension is properly balanced for your weight. You'll see better/safer handling and it'll make your riding experience more enjoyable.

David

rvguy

May 31, 2002
Hey Gooby & C/Dave,
I went with your advice on the front springs - Race Tech .42's.
What a difference! They rebound way too fast now, but I think I'll send them out this winter for some Gold Valve's.
-RVguy

gooby

Nov 8, 2001
first thanks to c dave u helped me with a bunch of issues,sometimes just reading a response to another post.rvguy dave is right again i started using 10w oil last summer to slow it dn ...it worked and for me i was able to lighten up on comp .it feels good,worth a try.and i've had no fork seal prob w 10w oil

BucKat

~SPONSOR~
Mar 27, 2002
thanks for the replies.

5'8 (at best ;) ) @ 170lbs.

Ride exclusively woods with the occasional tear in the wide open...my best jump so far might be 3' off the ground and maybe 10' long.
The front springs can't be that bad,for a beginer, can they..?? :ugg:
I currently ride a '90 200KDX with engine mods/stiffer springs. I'm not sure what the springs are as they where installed before I bought the bike.
Can I perhaps put the springs from the '90 into the '01 220 forks?? :think:

How much are new springs?? Canadian dollars please.
I pick up the bike in 2weeks ( if I do indeed purchase it) when should the new springs be bought?
I know,,,lots of questions but hey....I know ya's all don't mind.
thanks.
Joe ( wanting that 220 grunt)

fatty_k

~SPONSOR~
Jul 3, 2001
BucKat, for the FRP springs they are around $91.00 and for the Race Tech springs they are around $135.00, both in Canadian prices. I will also be looking for heavier springs (.41's). I will probably get the FRP springs obviously because of their price.

gooby

Nov 8, 2001
"can't b that bad"... ride a bike stock then ride one set up for u the diff is amazing."spring swap"...not sure does the 90 have 43mm forks?"price"...fatty_k answered that."10w oil"... i'm 15 lbs heavier than u so it might b too much try to find a 7.5 wt oil .some people use atf in the forks i believe.at 170 correct springs and messin w the comp should b tuneable.

Top Bottom