Nevada Sixx

Jan 14, 2000
i rode the 220 and felt it had too much bottom power, and not enough rev.. if i got a kdx, would i be better off just getting a stock 200 or getting a 220 w/ rev pipe and taller gearing?

thanks.

mattmcphail

Nov 18, 2004
I think you're going to find you're going to want to put a rev pipe on either one you get wether it be the 200 or 220. The extra power you get from the pipe on both is vital. I have a 200 with an FMF Gnarly pipe and love it. From what I understand the 220 has more bottom end and not as much rev out of the box as the 200 does but with a little adjusting (or changing) of the carb, and playing with the jetting, you can fix that.

motorpsycho

Jun 8, 2003
Ahhhhhhhhh............
The old 200 vs. 220 question again, 'eh?
Well, I'm lucky enough to ride a modded 200 (brothers) and a modded 220 (mine) every time I ride. :)
And from what I can tell, both bikes are very equally matched for just about any kind of riding that I've ever done. :coocoo:
I know alot of guys here will tell you that one bike or the other is the "ultimate machine", but from a fun factor both bikes are a hoot!
Not too much help, eh? :think:
My opinion.......Buy whichever bike you can get cheaper, mod it if you like and have a blast!

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
Get a 200. They are ported to rev more, don't have any piston issues if you mod them and have a bigger carb. You need to add an O ring chain though. Throw a PC pipe on it, toss the air box lid and have some fun.

racrboy1987

Dec 27, 2004
Fred T said:
Get a 200. They are ported to rev more, don't have any piston issues if you mod them and have a bigger carb. You need to add an O ring chain though. Throw a PC pipe on it, toss the air box lid and have some fun.
What piston issues do you speak of with a modded 220. I ask because Im looking to buy one, and like everyone else, plan to somewhat modify it. Thanks
Matt

john_bilbrey

Mar 22, 2003
There has been some talk of the stock 220 piston "grenading" once you start modding. Throw a forged Wiseco in it and be done with it. If it's a used bike, it will likely need a top end job anyway.

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
racrboy1987 said:
What piston issues do you speak of with a modded 220. I ask because Im looking to buy one, and like everyone else, plan to somewhat modify it. Thanks
Matt

yep, some folks have had them crack and make a big mess of your bottom end. last one it happened to was fattyk. that I remember

www.frpofforad.com

ask jeff about it.

racrboy1987

Dec 27, 2004
Is there any way to check it without pulling the whole engine apart, for example, if I go look at one I may buy, is there anything to listen for. I also have heard that the 97 had an OK piston, just after that year, they changed? Any input on this?

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom