stock 220 power ?

Zerotact

~SPONSOR~
Dec 10, 2002
I took the bike out today with a fresh tank of gas. It's a stock '02 220, I have  removed the airbox lid, and backed the as out 2.5 turns, Am i wrong to think i should be able  to loft the front wheel when i blip the throttle in 1st?

cr25096er

Apr 16, 2002
you should be able to do that, ive never ridden a kdx but from what i hear they have nice low end.

skipro3

Mod Ban
Dec 14, 2002
You should be able to lift the front wheel in 1st, 2nd, and 3rd without popping the clutch or pulling on the bars, just pure throttle based on your mods. How much you weigh anyway Zerotact. (speaking of which)

Zerotact

~SPONSOR~
Dec 10, 2002
I am about 205lbs. I have not played with the suspension yet, but all of the other 2 stoke bikes I have ridden would yank the front wheel up when to crack the throttle. I guess i have some jetting to do.

Zerotact

~SPONSOR~
Dec 10, 2002
OK, I dropped the needle to the last spot. I now get a slight hessitation when i crack the throttle, and a slight lift of the front wheel. I was planning on dropping the pilot down ( stock I assume it's a 42 ) down a step to a 40. and while i'm in there drop the main down to a 142. Does this sound wrong?

skipro3

Mod Ban
Dec 14, 2002
I've got my 220 with a 35 pilot, 140 main, stock needle at leanest clip. AS 1.5 turns out. I ride at 5000+ ft elevation. Play with the AS. I spent last friday doing this and it makes a big difference with even a slight adjustment. Is your bike broke in already?

Zerotact

~SPONSOR~
Dec 10, 2002
I've ridden the bike about 4-5 times, all short rides totalling about 40 miles.

Dapper

Sponsoring Member
Jan 25, 2002
You have a problem. I weigh 280 and have a stock 220 and I can get the front wheel up in 1-3 no problem. Good luck :think:

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Is there a traction problem?

'Fer instance, I won't get any air on my bike......when on gravel.

An obvious issue, but I don't see any reference to wheel spin. If your not lofting the front and your wheel is spitting gravel/dirt/rocks like crazy, then the issue is traction.

Not likely at 205#, but if your shock sag is 2" and the compression clickers are misadjusted, wheel spin is probably exactly what you'll get.

The bike is warmed up? It's not still a 4-stroking cold-choked goober, is it?

Not a lot of front wheel loft going on there.

Yeah....silly questions, but something is so OBviously wrong that it's maybe so obvious that it's been overlooked.

Zerotact

~SPONSOR~
Dec 10, 2002
I am riding in my yard, I leave about a 1ft rut were I hit the gas in 1st ( boy is the gf ever thrilled!). Well, I plan on pulling the needle up to the 2nd to last position, and playing with the AS Fri when i get it out on 20 acres. I recieved my MX-Tech shipping carton, so after i ride on fri I am shipping the forks off to get re-sprung, and valved for my heavy self. After that I'll put the forks back on and set the sag ..etc... and go from there.
Thanks for the suggestions.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…