chicoman

Uhhh...
Nov 14, 2006
Hi, has anyone gutted theit stock pipe on a kdx220?
I was wondering how much (if any) power is gained compared to stock? and how much louder is it?

Thanks.

chicoman

Uhhh...
Nov 14, 2006
According to another thread from harryhuia (stock silencer mod) there is, he even included pictures. His bike was a 95 kdx 200 but I think they're the same pipe.

chicoman

Uhhh...
Nov 14, 2006
I've done a search and I know how to do it but I'm looking for more opinions. I've only found a few threads from people who've tried it on a 220 and no ones mentioned how much louder it is or how it compares back to back with an fmf rev. (obviously the fmf will be faster but how much?)

radonc73

Nov 1, 2006
I had never heard of gutting your pipe either. I would just buy a PC or FMF pipe it is a simple mod and you will always have an extra pipe, trust me that is a good thing my younger brother got in a head-on with a 4 wheeler on a camping trip within the first day we were done. I thought you were talking about gutting your stock silencer that thing is an anchor if you haven't try changing that it will save you a boatload of weight. If you ride in USFS land make sure to get a spark arrester.

John Harris

Apr 15, 2002
I ride a gutted pipe. Did the gutting myself and had it welded back together. Not quite as good as FMF woods, but close, and you probably do not need a pipe guard for it. It is a very dirty job to gut it, but if you have the time and are short on funds do it. Makes the motorcycle just a little louder than stock as most of the silencing comes from the muffler/spark arrester. I still use the stock muffler--not the best choice but it is paid for and as for the weight, if I were worried about that, I could lose a few pounds myself. Ride safe Cheers John

chicoman

Uhhh...
Nov 14, 2006
Thanks for all the input, it's much appreciated.
I didn't want to buy an fmf pipe because:
1) The stock pipe should be quieter even after it's been gutted because the steel is thicker.
2) The stock pipe is much more durable.
3) The FMF costs $300 (can) and I was able to puck up a mint stocker (to be used as a backup or for resale) off **** for $12.50 US
4) If I wanted a race bike I would've bought a ktm. I bought a KDX because I wanted a cheap, quiet and reliable playbike that was still fun to ride.
I just didn't count on getting bored with the anemic top end so quickly. I really want to keep it as quiet as possible, Maby I should try the stock pipe with the RB mod and some reeds. It seems that most people change the pipe first though.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom