Put-Put

Apr 13, 2002
Hey Guys,
Quick question here. I've been thinking of replacing my stock pipe with an FMF Gnarly. The only thing that's holding me back is the noise difference with an aftermarket spark arrester/silencer. Can I switch out the pipe and maintain the stock arrester? A mechanic at a local dealership told me that to do so would rob the bike of HP and I probably wouldn't notice the different pipe. I really like the fact that the bike is really quiet stock, kinda a "stealth 2-stroke". Thanks

Canadian Dave

Super Power AssClown
Apr 28, 1999
Your mechanic is on glue! :| You most certainly can switch your stock pipe to an FMF and retain the stock silencer with excellent results. You'll see a little more noise from the pipe its self but a very noticeable increase in power delivery. If you are concerned with how much noise your bike makes but are looking for more power you're exactly on track. The stock pipe is a double walled pipe with sound deadening material between the two layers and the FMF is a single wall pipe hence a little more noise is going to pass through it.

You might also watch out for a KDX with an FMF Turbine Core 2 silencer and see if you find the noise level offensive. They are quite quiet when compared to a MX bike for example.

David

cudmak

Mar 23, 2001
How bout stock silencer with Pro Circuit pipe? I'm assuming the same holds true but figured I'd ask. I'm looking at getting a pipe real soon and from what I've read it sounds like the P/C pipe is the best fitting pipe right out of the box. How bout recommended jetting with P/C pipe and stock silencer in MN, roughly 700ft above sea level (I think)??

Top Bottom