Stolen Credit Card after ordering parts

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
Don't know the name of the company, but for those concerned with the security of your finances, but still having the desire to shop online.

Hackers are everywhere, it could be a security breach on the company's server, tell the company about it and they will attempt to track down and fix the problem (they don't want this stuff happening). It is better to call than to email. I have done this with a non-moto company in the past (no loss to me). I was asked to send copies of my documentation to the comapny so that they could track it down.

The problem could also be an unscrupulous employee, yes they do get hired from time to time. If all of the people that got ripped off just happened to deal with the same representative, then the culprit can probably be tracked down. Again, the company should be called, try to talk to soemone with a bit of authority.

Never use a card that is directly linked to your checking/savings account, if you do you could quickly find yourself in a world of hurt. Get an actual credit card and use it. For those who don't like the idea of having/using credit cards, pay off the balance at the end of the month to avoid interest charges. Most cards have a 25-30 day grace period. Also, make sure the card doesn't come equipped with and annual fee. If you pay the full balance every month, interest doesn't matter. Also, credit cards, as well as bank cards usually come with fraud protection, the bank cards just create a bigger hassle when you start bouncing checks because a couple grand magically dissappeared.

Lastly, most every credit card company in existance will provide a one time account number for use during online transactions, all you have to do is ask. This way, if your info does get stolen, it's useless.

Dave.Smith

Dec 15, 2002
FruDaddy said:
Lastly, most every credit card company in existance will provide a one time account number for use during online transactions, all you have to do is ask. This way, if your info does get stolen, it's useless.

Some, Discover for example, have a desktop feature that automatically fills in account information (name, address, phone #, e-mail, etc) and generates a new number for every online transaction. It's handy and keeps your real credit card number safe.

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
Trace:

Interesting theads, thanks for the links.

I sent you a PM. I had a similar situation recently, but have not ordered with any of the companies listed in a while except one, which was on a different card.

There may still be a connection as the locations of the purchaser match.

Top Bottom