rogerc

Feb 8, 2002
My sons and I are thinking of riding Stonyford for Spring Break.

Is this a good time of year to ride for 4 or 5 days up there or is it still to cold and is there snow anywhere?

How is the riding for 2 good novice riders (17 and 14 years old) and an old man?

I have heard that they do sound test is this true?

Any other comments and suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Roger

MR.WR

Apr 7, 2000
rogerc,

Stonyford is a great place to ride. It really depends on when in April you going up?? In early April, it can still be damp and chilly in the mountains, but by late April, it can tend to get dusty..

There should be plenty of snow now, but by April....who knows.....only mother nature..

The trails a Stony are a bit more advanced than other Nor.Cal riding areas...But still would not be a problem for you and your boys. You can get trail maps at the ranger station in Stonyford.

Next month were getting together for a ride up at Elkins Flat.
Elkins Flat trails are a little eaiser than Stonyford, in terms of novice riders.

Checkout this thread. http://dirtrider.net/forums3/showthread.php?threadid=38085 for more info on Elkins Flat.

Rick

Last edited:

The Tortoise

~SPONSOR~
Feb 19, 2002
I'd say just 2 days would be great to ride Stonyford. Yes they do sound checks. The sound checks are hit and miss. No fines until June of this year if you don't pass.

I don't know what Novice means to you. The place is harder than Hollister, that is for sure. It is less crowded and the trails are more fun. If you are really a beginner go to Penny Pines which is next to Stonyford. Penny Pines and Stonyford connect by dirt roads. You drive to Penny Pines through Ukiah and Upper Lake (Clear Lake Town). You get to Stonyford by hwy 5 and Maxwell.

Penny Pines would have lots of real fun single track for beginners and intermediate riders. Many many miles. Stony is a little more technical and you need to be up for it. I personally enjoy Stonyford over Penny Pines. I learned at Penny Pines and Stonyford. My kids and I (son 6 who rides a TTR90 and my daughter 8 who rides a XR80) went on many of the adv trails at Hollister last weekend and they were not very challenging at all. My kids have not done Stony yet but will this Sunday at Little Stony OHV staging area. Trail 26 is the one to ride up. Like little Oki hill at Hollister but 1.8 miles long.

For the spring break we are heading to Spangler Hills near Ridgecrest for awsome desert riding. This would be a gas for any level of rider.

If you want to go north do 2 days at Penny Pines and 2 at Stonyford. Also Elkins Flat out of Jackson on the way to Kirkwood is very easy and fun to ride. Tight easy single track.

Phone numbers for:

Stonyford 530 963-3128

Upper Lake Ranger Dist (Penny Pines) 707 275-2361

Call and get maps. Any further questions just call me at 925 963-8451. I can write an essay on this stuff.

The "wordy" Tortoise

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom